What to do???

mooretitan

Well the wife gave the ok to get another gun if I wanted which is great. The problem is I have been thinking about using the money to upgrade some of my gear instead. I have a stock Remington 700 stainless steel 300 rum. I have a leupold rifleman 3&9. The gun with everything stock shots great. I can maintain Moa out to 400 or so with this set up. I am thinking about upgrading the stock and scope to a higher end set up.
Also if I do this I might change my load up. Right now I am pushing 168ttsx with a max load of r19 and it is very accurate but I think that I should move up to at least a 180 grain ttsx. I have to stay nonleaded. I have a 300 win mag that I have put some money into so should I get a new gun or upgrade the 300 rum
Thanks

Which 700 is it? Does it have a Houge or cheap remington plastic stock on it? If it already has a bell and carlson medalist or hs precision on it I'd say keep the stock unless you "need" something different. It sounds like your limiting factor is your scope if you wanna really shoot long range.

The 300 rum has a cheap plastic stock. The 300 win mag is a sendro with some work done and high end leupold scope. I just have not shot it to much. The rum I have killed a few animals and have a good load worked up. Still wondering with 168ttsx if I am not getting enough from the rum. It shoots fast and accurate though

It makes me a little nervous to play with something that is shooting well even though I know for true long range it's not set up right. But for 400 yards and in its a great light weight mountain gun.

I think you'd see improvement in your shooting with a stock upgrade. If you wanna keep it somewhat lightweight I'd suggest the b&c medalist classic. Its a sporter style with the full aluminum bedding block. Then go for a scope. As far as the load goes, I think it would make sense to try to push a heavier bullet with the RUM cartridge but if you can't find something that works you still have your old recipe.

Upgrade your optics....
However....
You "could" trade that rifle off for a Remington Long Range series rifle.
It comes with a B&C stock that's got a bedding block already.... out the door for 699$

I don't see the point in spending 400$ on a stock for a stock rifle, when you could pay 3-350 difference for a bull barrel 300 RUM with a high end stock right from the get go.

You also *could* order a Boyds stock... laminated hardwood... ~ 120$... and do a scope.
Smart money says you will be inletting the stock a bit, if not opening it up more so you can do a proper bed on it.
gun)

I dont see the point in upgrading the stock. If it shoots good, leave it be.

I would invest in an adjustable objective scope. I've had great luck with leupold vx-2 & vx-3 series scopes, and simply send them back to leupold for M1 target turret installation.

What kind of hunting do you do with the RUM? If your less then 500 yards, you may be better off sending your scope in and having them install a varmint hunter reticle and use it for holdover instead of dialing your shots.

If you plan to hunt beyond 500 i would look for a scope with AO, adjustable turrets, with a max zoom from 12-16. along with upgrading to 200 gr. plus bullets - thats where the rum really shines.

I dont see the point in upgrading the stock. If it shoots good, leave it be.

I would invest in an adjustable objective scope. I've had great luck with leupold vx-2 & vx-3 series scopes, and simply send them back to leupold for M1 target turret installation.

What kind of hunting do you do with the RUM? If your less then 500 yards, you may be better off sending your scope in and having them install a varmint hunter reticle and use it for holdover instead of dialing your shots.

If you plan to hunt beyond 500 i would look for a scope with AO, adjustable turrets, with a max zoom from 12-16. along with upgrading to 200 gr. plus bullets - thats where the rum really shines.

Why send a rifleman in to have anything done with it.... It's a low end optic. Id spend a few hundred and get a Viper HS or something along those lines. You can't shoot what you can't see.

You can't shoot what you can't see.

Tell that to the 10 inch rocks i was pounding at 840 yards last weekend with my Vx1 3x9 with M1 turrets. That scope was purchased for $140 and sent in for turrets. Total cost for that setup including rings and base was under $300.

You dont have to have a Manners stock, and a nightforce NXS to shoot long range.

To each his own, in my eyes, my Vx3 scopes are clearer then my Viper PST.

Good for you.
I'm not up for debate on what you do, and frankly I don't care.
Do what you will... it's your money. If I choose to shoot past 400 yards, I'll have an optic to match the distance/caliber to give me a clean shot on targets... be it flesh or stone.
My 300 rum has a 4x12 Zeiss Terra on top of her.... why? I had it lying around and frankly didn't feel like taking my Viper HS hostage that I have sitting around for my 2nd 280 Ackley when she's done.

You MAY gain some accuracy with a different stock, but chances are it will NOT gain as much as you may think.

If it were me and I wanted to upgrade based on what you mentioned, then I would opt for the best glass and features of a good quality scope that is within the budget.

Afterwards, I would spend any remaining money on a trigger that I could adjust to something more than a factory trigger can offer.

Just my .02

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.