What to do with adjustment caps

blackco

Ok folks...I have a problem. When I remove my adjustment caps to dial for yardage, I get excited for a good hit, or mad because of a bad miss, and forget to put the cap back on. I'm now in the process of replacing. What do you all do with your caps for scopes without external adjustment knobs. Is the obvious, the answer... STOP FORGETTING!!! Or does someone have other good ideas? Or does leaving them off cause problems. I'm pretty thick skinned so pointing and giggling isn't going to bother me...much. So let's hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Colby

Yeah, stop forgetting pretty much covers it. I have never lost one but have thought this scenario over in my head and my solution would probably be a stock pack on the butt of your rifle just start slipping them in there every time you take them off, it could hold drop charts, range cards or a PDA if you use one along with ammo or lens cloth. or just take them off and put them in your pocket or leave them in the truck when out shooting or hunting, you could even put velcro on them and a piece on your stock and stick them on there (probably look tacky though)

I'd try painting just the caps flourescent orange. If they are flashy and catch your eye, you probably won't forget them. It's worth a shot. A cheap solution if it works too.

I found a fairly simple solution for my Leupy benchrest...

I'd set 'em down and forget 'em.....

I drilled a hole in the cap (in the center), to accept a small pop rivet. I removed the pull shank from the rivet leaving the center hole. Then I threaded a length of monofilament fishing line through the hole and attached it to the scope tube with a square knot.... I heated and mushroomed the end that passes through the hole in the cap (so the cap rotates but the mono stays attached).

The caps stay with the scope, the mono is stiff enough it don't get tangled up plus it's clear so no distraction.

You could actually lanyard them on to the ring mounts or anywhere you want.

You have to be cautious when drilling the cap because it's thin aluminum. Excepting drilling the cap, it's all simple and straightforward.

Takes about 5 minutes total. Just size the rivet (hole) to the mono.

and I thought putting velcro on them would look tacky! haha

yes just the orange caps...tacky...But if you were to find other small piece you could make land as well, it becomes an accent. I saw one with orange accents somewhere and it didn't look too bad.

I came up with the lanyard idea after doing the same thing with one of my motorcycles. It's really heavy (the bike) around 700 pounds and the sidestand sinks in hot asphalt, sand, gravel, whatever and when it sinks, the bike could fall over. Not good. Not good from a damage standpoint and not good from a hernia picking it up standpoint.

I always carried a block wood or a piece of rubber to put under the sidestand but I came up with a brain fart.

There is a company that makes a plastic foot for under the stand. Problem is, who wants to put a grungy plastic foot on their pocket or try to put it under the sidestand, balancing a 700 pound behemoth.... Not me.

I drilled a hole in the foot, attached a fishing line lanyard and attached the lanyatd to my saddlebag. When I stop, I pull the foot from the saddlebag, it drops to the ground and I manuver it with my left foot, under the sidestand.

When I'm ready to go, I lift the bike, grab the lanyard and lift the foot and stow in the saddlebag..... and it never gets lost. Just like the turret caps.....

What could be easier.

Just say'in....

First of...thank you everone for not laughing at me too much. Also, all of the inputs. I think I might try the lanyard idea; sounds like just what I was looking for. One more thing I would like everyone to know; I just called Nikon about a replacement cap and they have one on the way at NO COST!!! When something is my fault I expect to pay for my mistake. It is really nice to still have companies out there who even support us "less gifted."

Thanks all,
Colby

I put a small sticker on them up inside the cap with zero information so I can remember where zero is on that rifle. In example, E= #1 W=#2 E for elevation and W for windage, the number isin reference to what line the scope is zeroed at 100 or 200 yards. I only use the caps for transporting then they are left in the truck while hunting.

Jeff

First of...thank you everone for not laughing at me too much. Also, all of the inputs. I think I might try the lanyard idea; sounds like just what I was looking for. One more thing I would like everyone to know; I just called Nikon about a replacement cap and they have one on the way at NO COST!!! When something is my fault I expect to pay for my mistake. It is really nice to still have companies out there who even support us "less gifted."

Thanks all,
Colby

Interesting. That's what led me down the lanyard path myself. I inadvertently lost a cap on my Leupy Benchrest (I didn't go anywhere or move anyhting, I was shooting on the bench at the club), but it vanished in the grass......:D).

Leupold also sent me a replacement no charge, I'm sure they got a chuckle from my explaination to them..... Leupold even paid the postage.

I sometimes wonder what 'treasures' I could find with a metal detector. I probably should get one........lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.