What to do in Trinidad CO?

Coyboy

I'll be there for 3 weeks in June. Is their any varmits that need thinning? Any local attractions that are interesting?

Cuchara is about 45 miles West of Trinidad. On the way to Cuchara is Monument Lake and it has some great trout fishing, if you like lake fishing. A little further up the road from Monument Lake is Black Lake, great for fly and spinner bait fishing. Between the two lakes and 5 miles West is Purgatoire Campground. Take the jeep trail next to the campground and go to the top of the mountain. I have dozens of pictures I took of Rocky Mountain Bighorn sheep from under 20 yards on that mountain. South of Trinidad on I-25 is Raton, NM. (about 25 miles) The Nra Whittington Center is just West of Raton. If your an NRA member, you have access to several thousand acres of shooting ranges. The next big town North of Trinidad is Pueblo, CO. The Royal Gorge and Royal Gorge bridge are about 45 minutes West of Pueblo and is the most beautiful place I have ever been. I swung out over the rim on a sling shot there. 1310 feet over the Colorado River! Nothing between me and the river but air! (Lot's of it) There are several little day trips and half day trips out of Trinidad. Three weeks and you should be able to do them all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Do they have a Parker O. Ackley museum in Trinidad?? I have seen the Royal Gorge and been on the suspension bridge, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison is beautiful as well...

Thanks for the info dog caller, I didn't even think about fishing. I'm going to pack some tackle now.

How do you get into the Whittington center range? I am an NRA member. Do you need an appointment or just show up anytime? Is it only open on certain days? Dumb question I'll just call them.

Any PD towns around?

Coyboy The Whittingon Center has a great website:

Whittington Center

As long as belong to the NRA, you can go in year round free of charge. If you are going to shoot there is a daily range use fee of $15.00 but that will give you access to every range. If you just want to go look around, picnic, view wildlife (it is abundant), or generally just hang out the NRA membership is all you need. I'm sure there are some pdogs around somewhere but I live about 250 miles away and don't usually drive that far to shoot sod puppies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris in Madrid
You didn't hear about the 1300 ft deep canyon they cut through Trinidad? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.