What to do after spotting an animal?

Mram10us

A friend just started LR hunting and was wanting a checklist of what to do after seeing an animal. Got me thinking.
1. find a good spot to shoot from
2. range target
3. find solution
4. set turrets and parallax
What would you add or change?

Californian state cop went to Oregon on mule deer hunt....killed the nicest bull elk you could imagine....
Nothing happened to him......thats an idiot.....
another state cop had a late season crop damage cow elk tag...shot three cows in a dairy farmers field....borrowed tags from two other guys he knew.....nothing happened to him.....
There's a guy on here knows all about those two issues......
And this,isn't the lady that shot my horse..can i get my saddle off kind of story.....

Californian state cop went to Oregon on mule deer hunt....killed the nicest bull elk you could imagine....
Nothing happened to him......thats an idiot.....
another state cop had a late season crop damage cow elk tag...shot three cows in a dairy farmers field....borrowed tags from two other guys he knew.....nothing happened to him.....
There's a guy on here knows all about those two issues......
And this,isn't the lady that shot my horse..can i get my saddle off kind of story.....
That Is crazy. Maybe need a different line of work

Assess the animals disposition and the Terrain it is in. Is it bedded, traveling through, grazing, nervous, etcc. Then I can start thinking about 1 thru 4

Most places I hunt in Montana I couldn't make a shot of more than 3 to 400 yards and even then some of the places I hunt I wouldn't take a shot that far because of how long it would take to get to the animal and how difficult it would be to carry out and you guys in Idaho have mountains that are worse than I deal with. If I were in flat country I'd take a longer shot but only if the animal cooperated and the wind wasn't bad.

First thoughts through my head on long range hunting encounter

1.) WIND!can I make a 100% vital hit with the conditions? If not I pass on the shot.
2.) what lies beyond the animal if I miss?
3.) will I be in a stable position to spot hits (I hunt alone)
4.) when hit, what terrain will I encounter retrieving the animal

Great points. It's steep and nasty so nothing behind but rocks. Packing out is always the hardest workout of the year

Is the animal alone or do I have to worry about spooking the jumpiest animal in the herd that maybe I don't even see?
Is there a reasonable way to close distance for an even better shot?
Is there anything in the line of fire or near or behind the critter I must not hit?
Round in chamber? Status of safety?
Am I so focused on the quarry that I step on a snake?

1. Ensure it's an animal I want to take
2. Any good way to get closer
3. Acess situation
-weather wind
-time of day. Do I have time to take care of the animal
-are there any other animals in line of fire
- is there a good spot to shoot from, steady, sun glare, some what comfortable
4. Range
5. Figure solution
6. Set parallax
7. Dial turrets
8. Squeeze the trigger
9. Field dress animal and start packing
Also you might note that when you get to step number 9. You will find out who your friends are.😁

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.