What to build

Joefrazell

I've got a new 9 twist .30 cal 3b bartlein barrel, rem 700 long action with a magnum bolt face. I had built a win mag but was thinking of exploring other options with this build. Is there any other chamberings that I could explorer? I wouldn't mind getting the speed up a bit. I shoot heavy bullets and i do reload. Wouldn't mind getting a 225 eldm to 3000 with a 26" barrel. Thanks guys

I've got a new 9 twist .30 cal 3b bartlein barrel, rem 700 long action with a magnum bolt face. I had built a win mag but was thinking of exploring other options with this build. Is there any other chamberings that I could explorer? I wouldn't mind getting the speed up a bit. I shoot heavy bullets and i do reload. Wouldn't mind getting a 225 eldm to 3000 with a 26" barrel. Thanks guys
You cant go wrong with the Sherman. Everything in stock including ADG head stamped brass. Std mag bolt, 3100'+ with 225-230 grain bullet. Shoots factory PRC ammo very accurately in a pinch. Superbly accurate round with good barrel life.
I have 8 firings on my brass and going strong at 3000' with 245 Berger. 28" barrel

300 Norma
.300NM is a totally different case head, and should be built on a Lapua Mag sized action. But, if starting from scratch, it is a great option. Or...even a .300 Norma Mag Improved....
20201212_074810.jpg

You cant go wrong with the Sherman. Everything in stock including ADG head stamped brass. Std mag bolt, 3100'+ with 225-230 grain bullet. Shoots factory PRC ammo very accurately in a pinch. Superbly accurate round with good barrel life.
I have 8 firings on my brass and going strong at 3000' with 245 Berger. 28" ba

I have 8 firings on my brass and going strong at 3000' with 245 Berger. 28" barrel
Ok, I've got to ask. How much faster is the Sherman than the prc? 100 fps or more? What are the differences in the case? Im intrigued

Ok, I've got to ask. How much faster is the Sherman than the prc? 100 fps or more? What are the differences in the case? Im intrigued
I dont give numbers on the PRC because I dont own one. There is a lot of data on. what the PRC shooters are getting and a lot on what the SM shooters are getting.
Ill leave it at that.
The Sherman has less body taper and a 40 degree shoulder which are the biggest differences.

I dont give numbers on the PRC because I dont own one. There is a lot of data on. what the PRC shooters are getting and a lot on what the SM shooters are getting.
Ill leave it at that.
The Sherman has less body taper and a 40 degree shoulder which are the biggest differences.
@Joefrazell I'll add...if you're looking to build a cool rifle, then build a cool rifle. The Shermans fit that bill to a T! I have one, and am in the process of building another. If you're looking to build a reliable 30 cal on a mag bolt face, the 300winmag has been getting the job done for several decades. But that's only because the Shermans weren't around yet, haha.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.