What tires do you run on your pickup

Don't overlook Kelly tires. I've tried several different brands and the best bang for my buck have been the Kelly Safari tires. Working in the oilfield the rocks are very hard on tires. They can be difficult to find but I started buying from Tire Buyer.com and have been very pleased with their delivery and the Kelly's performance is excellent! Very good traction, low road noise and 60,000 plus per set. This last set I bought are the Safari ATR and within the next couple of months I will be replacing the Michelin's on my wife's SUV with Kelly's.

Goodyear Duratracs have been doing well for some work trucks and friends of mine, but are prone to punctures and flats. Great traction though and look good. I have run BFG AT's, Cooper ST's, and am currently running Cooper STT's. BFG's (at the time-several yrs ago) went over 55K and provided good all around handling and traction. Cooper ST's were ok, but not great. Cooper STT's are the best traction tire I have ever run in my life, and look awesome. They do have a little more road noise and took a little extra gas mileage, but worth it to me.

I pound on some roads and really like the 3-ply side wall of the Cooper STT and BFG AT. Never had flats with either of them. But, the Goodyear Duratrca or Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar both seem to be good tires as well. They just don't have the three ply sidewall and are slightly more prone to flats.

Good luck with your choice!

The most important features for me are durability, quietness on the highway at 75 mph, and traction in mud and snow. I have found (with at least 4 sets on my F150 and 2 F250's, that the Goodrich All Terrain T/A in 275/65 R18 (or whatever diameter wheel you have), fit the bill. They have all lasted me at least 45k miles (I don't drive them til anywhere near bald), are nice and quiet on the highway, yet never let me get stuck on my ranch. They can be bought in 8 or 10 ply.

I've ran all sorts of tires, most all the ones mentioned, and this winter I tried the General Grabber AT2 tires after reading hours of reviews and being highly recommended by two of my friends. Bottom line - I will never buy another tire besides the General Grabber AT2 again in my life, I'm sold on them. I put them on my Toyota pickup and I'll be putting them on my Suburban come this next winter. You don't hear them at all, and they are scary good on ice. We have alot of icy roads here in Colorado and for the first week I left the four wheel drive off and just drove in two wheel drive when I know everybody else was in 4x4. The reason I said scary good was because I was driving 10 miles an hour faster than everybody else in two wheel drive and those tires never slipped once. I knew they had to at some point, and that is why I called them scary good - but never a slip once. Super great on ice and snow, no problems in the mud I've been in, and you can't hear them - no road noise and they are a good looking tire. I never read a bad review and I read hundreds of them, that says something to me. The best part, they're cheap to buy - I put 31x10.5 x15 tires on the Toyota and they cost me $123.00 each. I'll never buy anything else again, just hope they don't stop making them for the rest of my life. Check them out - you won't be disappointed, I guarantee it. The only thing I can't vouch for is longevity as I've probably only put 12,000 miles on them, but I have a ton of life left on them - I expect I'll easily get 50,000 miles before they need replaced. One more thing, probably half my driving is to oil well locations, generally bad roads, not maintained very well, and usually steep. I ran this winter half as much in four wheel drive as I normally do, just because of those tires - I'm telling you, they're unbelievably good.

General Grabber A/T2 is a great tire and in my opinion probably the best all terrain tire out there especially when cost is factored in. I have run many sets of these and sold many more. I currently have a set of these on my 06 duramax work truck and will attempt to wear them out this summer, but I like to try new things, so I will be trying a set of Goodyear Duratracs on my work truck because it is also used for snow plowing. They will also be studded. I studded the generals when I put them on 4 years ago and the studs are worn out now, but I have been happy with the tires. I sold a set to a friend two years ago for her 2011 cummins pickup and she only got 30k out of them, but sometimes that is all the mileage you can get on a newer diesel. One thing about tires to keep in mind is that not all tires are available in all sizes and if you have a tire size that isn't a common size, finding the exact tire could be a chore.

I have a 1996 Chevy K2500 extended cab, which weighs about 6800 lbs with just a few tools in the back, probably closs to 8,000 ready to go hunting. It has 157,000 miles on it and still has the second set of B F Goodrich All-Terrain TA's 285-75-R16 , I have been back and forth across country more times than I can count, I push snow with it in the winter, and just plain drive it where ever I want to go. Have been where I shouldn't have been and got it stuck a few times.
As far as I am concerned that is the only tire I will put on a Pickup.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts