What the H!

Yikes! Guys my son again was over yesterday for a little range time with the Old Man, and he brought me another one!! that broke at the same spot while loading an AR magazine... woooooo! two in my lifetime 😧 This is unbelievable if I hadn't seen it myself I'd find it kinda hard to believe.
These cartridges load and look perfect with no suspect marks on them at all, so if the user is using them for self-defense and somehow they break in the rifle chamber game over. None of this Winchester brass will be used for self-defense on this end.

Attachments

• 20200814_151616.jpg
    20200814_151616.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 189
  • 20200814_151654.jpg
    20200814_151654.jpg
    719.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 20200814_151552.jpg
    20200814_151552.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 180
I had a similar problem recently with some Winchester 17 HMR ammo. The necks were splitting from what looked like worn dies scoring longitudinal marks along the neck. Had one explode my magazine and damage my rifle. Resolution is in process with Mfr.

Another reason why Lapua brass is not expensive.
Thank heaven no one got hurt.

looks like you got a bag or a single case that was polished with an ammonia based polish. I have seen that crack/fracture in many R-P brass in the past.

Just an FYI guys. My son and I were shooting a week ago, he had some of my .223 Rem reloads; 65gr Sierra GK with new Winchester once full length sized brass. When he went to push the round down into the AR magazine the cartridge broke off right at the neck and shoulder junction, pretty much cleanly and evenly all the way around. Personally, with a little over 50 years pulling the press handle I've never seen this type of brass failure, and I thought I'd pretty much seen them all. 🤔 Cheers.

PS: I'm pretty sure Winchester has a bad batch of annealed brass'..., on the run this case came out of, and of course the bag with the lot number on it was chucked out a long time back. 😯

View attachment 208448
I only use Norma or lapua never seen that happen ever in 40 yrs of reloading and that's why I never use Winchester 👍

The bad deal here guys... is; now I have to take all those .223 loads "new brass Winchester" and pull all the cartridges they can't be trusted... something close to 1200 rounds... ****!!

The bad deal here guys... is; now I have to take all those .223 loads "new brass Winchester" and pull all the cartridges they can't be trusted... something close to 1200 rounds... ****!!
Send photos to Winchester and make them eat them. Get Bullets or primers from them in exchange for the brass.

Been reloading 26 years and haven't seen that one. But I stopped using Win brass about 10 years ago. Too many problems. When I buy new brass I hate looking them over and tossing 10 to 20% in the trash before their first sizing. I'm sure there's diamonds in there but who has time to dig em out. I'd rather spend a little more money for good brass.

So, I just sent Winchester "ammo" an email and left a phone message as too what the problem is, let's see what they do now. 🤔

So, I just sent Winchester "ammo" an email and left a phone message as too what the problem is, let's see what they do now. 🤔
This should be interesting. They will either want it all back to avoid a potential lawsuit or they will say it's not possible you're loading it wrong. I suspect it will be the former.

This should be interesting. They will either want it all back to avoid a potential lawsuit or they will say it's not possible you're loading it wrong. I suspect it will be the former.

Agree, I just wonder how much more of this stuff they have floating around out there. On the two-way range, this stuff would be a game-ender, one of those malfunctions that pretty much is uncorrectable in a self-defense mode... no verkee, verkee!😲

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.