What Suppressor Trust?

lobo56

LRH Team Member
What is the practical need for a trust for suppressor? I get the intent, but in reality, how many times have you ever been asked for proof that you were allowed to possess your suppressor and you had to pull out your trust paperwork?
Only takes once!!

Mike from Texas

For those who have used canned NFA trusts and “haven’t had any problems with the ATF”; just know the ATF doesn’t give 2 flips about your trust.They aren’t in the business of reviewing your trust When you submit for an item.
Where it will bite you if when/if there’s a probate issue or if you don’t understand the ins/outs of possession and what not (which from reading many don’t have a clue).
Spend a few extra $$ and hire an attorney well versed in NFA laws and regulations.

mongo4567

What is the practical need for a trust for suppressor? I get the intent, but in reality, how many times have you ever been asked for proof that you were allowed to possess your suppressor and you had to pull out your trust paperwork?

A little while in the past in Texas, we had some counties (Williamson) that didn't approve suppressors despite state law. The dbag sheriff took a personal dislike to suppressors and viewed the notification section in the older form as an approval....which would never be granted. The trust would bypass this approval.

redleg1013

While I applaud Texas for their forward-thinking laws regarding suppressors, the legal precedence for enacting such legislation is untested at this point. I do not think the BATFE/Federal Govt. will let this development go unchallenged. The Supreme Court will have to ultimately decide if state law can trump federal law or if federal law was ultimately unenforcible because it lacked jurisdiction over the sale of such items. In other words, if rights not expressly granted to the federal government remain with the states, then Congress cannot bypass such constitutional safeguards by merely passing a law. It will be interesting

While I applaud Texas for their forward-thinking laws regarding suppressors, the legal precedence for enacting such legislation is untested at this point. I do not think the BATFE/Federal Govt. will let this development go unchallenged. The Supreme Court will have to ultimately decide if state law can trump federal law or if federal law was ultimately unenforcible because it lacked jurisdiction over the sale of such items. In other words, if rights not expressly granted to the federal government remain with the states, then Congress cannot bypass such constitutional safeguards by merely passing a law. It will be interesting to watch.
It didn't work so well in Kansas. NFA revenues are a massive cash cow for a dept that would otherwise be unmanageable with debt -- they will NEVER give it up, especially since nobody, not even our precious NRA, has successfully challenged the NFA in almost 100 years.

Recent Posts