What stock should i be looking for?

429421Cowboy

I have a M700 in 7mm Rem mag that still has the basic SPS stock on it. The fact that I can squeeze the forend and make it touch the barrel (which the weight of the rifle does when it's on the bipod) has convinced me that putting any money in it to bed or anything else would just be a waste since i'm going to upgrade anyhow and should just put the money towards that. So as I'm starting to sock money away, what should I be looking for? Yes, if I could spend the cost of the rifle on a McMillian it would be wearing one, but I don't ever see that as happening. I would like a nice synthetic stock, not super tactical looking but I only shoot prone for the most part so a wide forend and thumbhole or semipistol grip would be ok. Hoping to keep weight fairly down since I do have to pack it and it's close to 11lbs as it is now.
How much money do I need to get into this? I can't really spend much over $250-3 at this point. I would be ok if I needed to bed it afterwards. Should I go with full length bedding block? I just need some ideas of where to go. I have heard to try and find a used Sendero take-off stock from somebody, are they a good place to start? Thanks for any help guys.

Thank you, I have been wondering if the Bell and Carlson was the way to go in my price range, and that would give me some room to work with if I rebarrel the rifle like I eventually hope to.

For best stability a HS takeoff from a Senduro would be the best, but it will have a barrel channel that is opened up to Senduro contour. Bell and Carlson stocks can be had well under $250 and if your not too picky boyds laminates are very nice and stable. They also sell for about 99$.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.