What State WY or MT in the Spring

1100 Remington Man

Looking to do something next year. Looking to do a DIY Spring Black Bear hunt. I wll say I like to hunt by Spot & Stalk & walk. Anybody have experience with these two states ?, looking at these two because of the Drive from Iowa. Thanks

Easy, Montana is the only way to go. Wyoming spot and stalk for bear is like looking for sasquatch. I know people that go up to montana every year to shoot a bear and pretty much always get one.

Depends where in Wyoming. You'd have a better chance at making it happen in the Beartooths than most other places.

The largest black bear in the US are mostly taken between two states every year.

North Carolina and Pennsylvania

Some in the 600 lb range and larger

I would go MT or Idaho, Wy has great spring bear hunting if you know were to find them but finding them is a problem for most we will find 12-15 bears every spring in WY some shooters some not. I have friends that go to MT in the north west corner and they will see 25-30 on there hunt..

I hunt both Idaho and Wyoming for bear. My daughter lives near Bozeman, Montana. I have seen 4 bears in a day while hunting with her. I see more bears in WY than ID. My 1st choice would be MT because they allow no dogs or bait. I like to spot & stalk. 2nd choice would be WY simply because of the numbers of bears I see. ID would be my last choice. In the areas that allow dogs & bait, the hound hunters drive to all the bait sights they know of to find an easy bear to run. The Greys River area in WY holds ALOT of bears in the high country.
Just my opinion, Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.