What Solvent Dissolves Smokeless Powder

Catfur

I have a stuck case... in a reloading block. I accidentally spilled some Win 760 on the block while charging a case (22-250 being formed into 6XC) and the tiny granules have wedged into the hole, against the case.

I have hulked and hulked on the case to no avail, and tried igniting the powder as well (wouldn't light). I'm wondering if there are any commonly available solvents I can buy that will dissolve the powder and let me get the **** case out.

What material is the block? Plastic? Put the whole thing in the freezer for a few hours. Should make the case contract enough to get it free. Of course be careful as the block might be brittle when it's cold.

Acetone is the solvent used in manufacture of nitrocellulose. It will evaporate quickly so throw a rag over the top to reduce evaporation. Water is used to store over smokeless powder disolved in actone to keep the acetone frome evaporating and reduce the fire danger in storage before extruding. Water is less dense than nitrocellulose so it floats. I use Seafoam, available in the auto parts isle of Walmart, to remove carbon from my barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts