What sling for new Ar-15

mike33

Im going crazy looking for a sling for my new ar. I cant believe all these options what is everyone using?
Mike

My current carbine sling is a 2 inch wide TAPCO. It is a modular 2point/singlepoint sling. It was on the lower end of the price scale. I like it a lot. For fulltime use a 7lb carbine gets heavy, the 2" strap spreads the load out so its a lot more tolerable.

For my full size ARs I prefer a NM web sling, like the USMC uses. Quick adjust clamp with a Jhook.

Walmart slings work, but come up short even on carbines. They can work in a pinch, for the 12 bucks. Untill you can find the one you want.

This is a very good choice, I don't have the padded version. Also of some note and I do like it a bit more, the VTAC 2 point. Please head my warning and stay away from 3 point and single point slings.
I watchd a demo on the 3 point and was looking that way. Please tell me the negatives with it you experienced.
mike

I watchd a demo on the 3 point and was looking that way. Please tell me the negatives with it you experienced.
mike

It all depends on what you want to use the gun for. From a tactical standpoint 3pt are dangerous junk in my opinion, I dont want anything pulling on the front of the gun and mostly dont want anythig in the way of the mag well. Seen slings get loaded with mag changes.

I like V Tac mounted on the rear of the stock and castle nut nothing infront of the mag well

I use a mil surplus GI web sling on my AR. It cost me all of 12 dollars. I marked it for prone and sitting just like the one I was issued back in the day.

Three points never stay adjusted right on fixed buttstocks, and worse on adjustable.

I use a rail mounted sling loop on my forend, for my front attachment, and a loop plate under the castle nut, for my two point setup. Sort of a flexible cross between a two point and a single point. I use this for full time carry.

On the range, shooting positions where a sling is used either leather NM or web NM. nearly as good as a bipod once you get it figured out. A hell of a lot cheaper, too!