What size spotting scope?

zfastmalibu

What have you guys found to be the handiest sized spotter? It will mostly be used from the truck and shorter hikes. Open elk country.
Thanks.

Going to vary with how you hunt. I do alot of hiking, but also lot off road glassing. I have small packers and large rig scope my All round favorite is Leo 12-40x60. Scope is not much over 12'' is 32 oz. can pack, real nice for spotting qiuck on 12x.I made a mount that sisters with my terrapin.I use it by far the most. Wish I could get a hd model with tmr ret. For real open country n rig glass, like antelope areas.My Kowa 20-60x82 is great, I like the 30 wide eye pcs. on for most glassing

I have the Vortex Razor HD 65 mm spotter and like it a lot This spotter has sharp resolution and is very clear. I carry it in my back pack with a carbon fiber tripod and pan head. The total setup wt is right at 6 lbs. I wouldn't go any heavier for a back pack setup, just my opinion. For spotting from the truck, you may want to look at the larger Vortex Razor, with is 85 mm.

In the small size I carry a Leupold Gold Ring compact 15-30x50mm that weighs about a pound and a Vortex Summit SS about 2 lbs & 14" long when folded, surprisingly sturdy. A lightweight and very compact setup. I have the quick release shoe for the tripod and replace it with a shooting rest similar to a Bogpod so I can also use the tripod as a shooting rest

GR Spotting Scopes Archives - Leupold Optics | Leupold Optics

Vortex Optics - Summit SS-P Tripod

A big Kenai 25-60x80mm on a Bogen for long stuff but it's not compact or light

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.