What size spotting scope do you run? Kowa 773 or Kowa 88A

I bought the 883 last year on close out. Cost me about $2600 with the eyepiece included. I considered the 773 as it was about $700 less expensive.

The differences really come down to the lenses. There's more color fringing/chromatic aberration (purple or cyan edges on objects at distance) with the 773. That being said both are absolutely great and arguably as good or better than anything the European alpha companies have. If you look through both at extended distances on a day with more humidity then you'll readily see the differences. There's really no way around this but to use better optics. The 883 was surprisingly lighter than I expected but I'm used to really heavy telephoto lenses.

I know you're talking about Kowa…I bought a Swarovski ATX 65 and love it. It's clear as can be. I'd love to get an STX 85 or 95 to have more options. When I'm not hiking or backpacking I would carry the bigger lens and angled eyepiece. When I am I'd carry the smaller straight one. Just my opinion, I went with the smaller one available and haven't had issues with it. I'm sure the larger objective will be able to gather a lot more light, same the weight, you'll probably be searching with binos to start anyway.

As for the fluorite lenses in any optic.
Unless things have changed recently, only the inner element of the objective lens will be fluorite glass, all other glass used in the optic will be regular glass, including the eyepiece glass.
Reason being that the fluorite is a weaker glass from the standpoint of abuse, and is only used in protected areas.
Advertising laws permit manufacturers to advertise the higher quality glass even though only a small percentage of the total actually is.
My suggestion would be to compare one with and one without side by side. On an average day you wont be seeing any difference.
Low light conditions (might) show some advantage for some users, especially those who own them.
I would personally be looking on Ebay for a nice older model scope, like a Kowa 77 mm TSN series.
You will buy one in excellent condition for $500 or less with the eyepiece.

I bought the 883 just before the new one came out. It is an amazing scope. Light for its size, incredible glass. I have an old Leupold 2-60 I pack when size matters. I have used friends Swarovskis they are great too but just cant see dropping that cash for a scope thats gonna get hammered on. I would very much like to learn more about the 55 as the size and clarity seem perfect for pack trips. The angled eyepiece takes some getting used to, but I double it for shooting. Straight through would be more functional in the field IMO. I have enjoyed using the "PhoneScope" setup for pics and sharing in the field as well. The side benefit is the enjoyment of filming and photos both on and off the hunt.

I was at the Western Hunt Expo this year and compared the Kowa 88 & 77 models vs the Swaro ATX at the Rent Outdoor Gear booth. It was pretty surprising. Having personally owned the Swaro ATX with the 85 & 65mm obj's I would buy the Kowa and save the money up front.

Kowa 77 is the best all around considering light weight (same or less than most 65mm's), affordable cost, and quality to look through.

Kowa 88 without question was brighter & more clear than the swaro's. The 88 has fluorite crystal lenses, the 77 does not if I understand this correctly. Really an 88 is in the category of other companies 95mm's but significantly less weight/overall size.

The only real drawback to a Kowa is the resale value vs a Swaro, and the Swaro will be more durable. Potentially a little better customer service/warranty should you ever need it on a Swaro too.

If you are needing a spotter to do some serious work and need the extra glass then you'll appreciate the 88. You can even see the difference in video's digiscoping using it. However, if you're glassing with mostly bino's and just want something to confirm or get a better look occasionally, I'd go with the Kowa 77 over any other 65mm spotters I've tried so far. And you're not giving up alot doing so. Saves weight and costs!!

Good luck man, let us know what you go with. You could call the guys at Rent Outdoor Gear too and pick their brain. They were very insightful at the show.

I was at the Western Hunt Expo this year and compared the Kowa 88 & 77 models vs the Swaro ATX at the Rent Outdoor Gear booth. It was pretty surprising. Having personally owned the Swaro ATX with the 85 & 65mm obj's I would buy the Kowa and save the money up front.

Kowa 77 is the best all around considering light weight (same or less than most 65mm's), affordable cost, and quality to look through.

Kowa 88 without question was brighter & more clear than the swaro's. The 88 has fluorite crystal lenses, the 77 does not if I understand this correctly. Really an 88 is in the category of other companies 95mm's but significantly less weight/overall size.

The only real drawback to a Kowa is the resale value vs a Swaro, and the Swaro will be more durable. Potentially a little better customer service/warranty should you ever need it on a Swaro too.

If you are needing a spotter to do some serious work and need the extra glass then you'll appreciate the 88. You can even see the difference in video's digiscoping using it. However, if you're glassing with mostly bino's and just want something to confirm or get a better look occasionally, I'd go with the Kowa 77 over any other 65mm spotters I've tried so far. And you're not giving up alot doing so. Saves weight and costs!!

Good luck man, let us know what you go with. You could call the guys at Rent Outdoor Gear too and pick their brain. They were very insightful at the show.
extremely helpful first hand experience right here! I have called most of the companies that carry the Kowa and they all agreed that the 77 and 88 are two of the best spotting scopes in their class. When I asked most of them, it was really a toss up between who would recommend the 77 or who would recommend the 88 - like literally almost a 50/50 split. They all pretty much agreed that the 88 was just slightly better optically than the 77, but those that preferred the 77 said it left nothing behind the 88 and preferred it for hunting because of the size and weight. A few mentioned that you would only see a difference in the fluorite lense when looking at stuff with vivid colors - like birds. Being that I will only use it for hunting, I am going to go with the 77!

extremely helpful first hand experience right here! I have called most of the companies that carry the Kowa and they all agreed that the 77 and 88 are two of the best spotting scopes in their class. When I asked most of them, it was really a toss up between who would recommend the 77 or who would recommend the 88 - like literally almost a 50/50 split. They all pretty much agreed that the 88 was just slightly better optically than the 77, but those that preferred the 77 said it left nothing behind the 88 and preferred it for hunting because of the size and weight. A few mentioned that you would only see a difference in the fluorite lense when looking at stuff with vivid colors - like birds. Being that I will only use it for hunting, I am going to go with the 77!

You won't regret it man! Also, food for thought. That "Rent Outdoor Gear" place will let you rent a couple models to try and apply your rental fee towards the purchase of a unit. This is also what I wished I did before I got my swaro's... 😅

I've had the KOWA 554, 774, 884 as well as the Swaro 80 STS and 85 STX.

The 774 is better than bow swaros IMO. The 884 is better than the whole lot of them. The only down side to Kowa is the potential durability and no protective coating. I just put a neoprene cover on the Kowa. Where the Swaro doesn't really need any additional protection.

I'm currently using the 884 and don't have any plans to change at all…. Unless I go to the Kowa 99.

You won't be disappointed in that 77. It's badass for the weight and size.

I've had the KOWA 554, 774, 884 as well as the Swaro 80 STS and 85 STX.

The 774 is better than bow swaros IMO. The 884 is better than the whole lot of them. The only down side to Kowa is the potential durability and no protective coating. I just put a neoprene cover on the Kowa. Where the Swaro doesn't really need any additional protection.

I'm currently using the 884 and don't have any plans to change at all…. Unless I go to the Kowa 99.

You won't be disappointed in that 77. It's badass for the weight and size.
Good to know! I appreciate the response.

I do think I will end up going with the 77 - I have read enough good reviews on the 77 and the 88 to realize that it is a toss up really and they both will be excellent.

Definitely dude. I only went for a bigger objective because it seems to help with mirage in the image a little bit more. The 77 is the perfect size for packing in and still wanting good optics. I do all pack in hunts, and don't mind the extra weight and size of the 88 though.

Definitely dude. I only went for a bigger objective because it seems to help with mirage in the image a little bit more. The 77 is the perfect size for packing in and still wanting good optics. I do all pack in hunts, and don't mind the extra weight and size of the 88 though.
Makes sense! For me it was just comparing the price difference between the two. I could get an old model Kowa 883 for $2,013 shipped to my door without the eyepiece or the 773 with the eyepiece for $2,017 - so the price difference between the two only really came down to the eye piece. Can get a body only 773 for $1,375 and body only 883 for $1,975. Really just debating between the $600 price difference vs the packability / weight