What size spotting scope do you run? Kowa 773 or Kowa 88A

fnlights

Curious what size of spotting scope everyone uses? Trying to decide between a Kowa 773 or the 88A.

Would be used really for hunting out west. Would be my only one, so everything from long-range spotting to packing in a few miles off the road. I am leaning towards the 773 because of this, but also know that the 88A probably is better all around optically.

I also considered the Vortex Razor, but it just seems the Kowa's are better.

Last edited:
Correct - I just don't know if this means it is significantly better than the 773 lol. Is the extra size, weight, etc worth losing some of the packability.
I don't believe you will be disappointed. We represented Kowa for a number of years before they went to inside sales.

So you don't think I could go wrong with either option or size?
I do believe that you would like both, that being said the 88 lenses are the best there are. They consistently win in the birding community and those folks I believe are possibly more discerning than hunters. Buy once cry once.

Seems like a few above prefer the 883 - anyone out there prefer the 77? Ideally looking for someone that has compared them first in the morning, in full daylight, and during the evening

Seems like a few above prefer the 883 - anyone out there prefer the 77? Ideally looking for someone that has compared them first in the morning, in full daylight, and during the evening
The 88 will win every time because of the difference between the lenses.

I used both of those last summer extensively looking at bighorns in CO. I'm 56 and wear glasses for more background. If I had to do it over, I'd buy the 773/4 like my son has. The extra cost and weight of the 884 I have did not make up enough difference for me to be worth it. Just my two cents. The 884 with appropriate tripod is a load.

The 773/4 is a very nice optic and I'd not hesitate on buying one for all my western hunting needs.

I wish I could look through a kowa 77 next to my kowa 664m. I don't have any complaints about my 664m with the 20-60 eyepiece, but it would be interesting to see the difference

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a 88 when I drew a sheep tag. I still have it and love it. The glass is second to none. That said the 77 won't leave you wanting especially if you want to pack it much. I still pack the 88 everywhere straight up mts I shouldn't chasing mule deer. Had too many times I spotted a buck but couldn't tell what it really was and if it was worth the MAJOR effort to go try to find it again. Sometimes that will require another day and a whole different route. So I still pack it. But I'm drooling over that new swaro 55 for those hunts!buddy got one,I need to spend a day with it. 🤤

I got a 88 when I drew a sheep tag. I still have it and love it. The glass is second to none. That said the 77 won't leave you wanting especially if you want to pack it much. I still pack the 88 everywhere straight up mts I shouldn't chasing mule deer. Had too many times I spotted a buck but couldn't tell what it really was and if it was worth the MAJOR effort to go try to find it again. Sometimes that will require another day and a whole different route. So I still pack it. But I'm drooling over that new swaro 55 for those hunts!buddy got one,I need to spend a day with it. 🤤
Kowa has a 55 with pure fluorite lenses just like the 88 & 99.