What size group at 1000 yards

muttly64

Hi I recently tried shooting at 1000 yards.

My grouping was 6 inches at 1000 yards.

wind conditions calm at 2 knots
temperature 16 degrees.
projectile 180 grain Remington factory load.

At 200 yards I get pin hole groups, so is it just the ammo or is this me at 1000 ???
How do I improve?

I'm with Rick. At slightly over 1/2MOA at 1000 yds with factory ammo, what exactly were your expectations? It that information is accurate I would say the first step to "improving" would be to start hand loading.

What are you shooting for equipment?

I think it depends on the true size of your one hole group at 200. If it were .25MOA, at 1000 yards spin, stability, and other bullet flight dynamics can increase dispersion as much as .25MOA or more. In any case 6" groups at 1000 yards(.5MOA) is pretty darn good, particularly if it's a hunting class rifle with factory ammo. Considering that, your shooting skills appear to be good!

Last edited:
First step in evaluating something is seeing if it's repeatable.

I think some of us reading, would, even for ourselves, step back and verify all the the things that can be measured-beginning with the range itself.

I'm told the Japanese word "Kamikaze" means "Divine Wind". I use it in situations where a bad wind call-cancels out a less than stellar trigger pull. Or perhaps variations in the wind cancelled the variations in the ammo.

I'd still keep such a target on my wall.

That is great accuracy as far as I'm concerned. If I were in your situation I would see if it can be repeated. If it does repeat, go buy as much of that factory ammo you can get your mits on. I have seen a ruger m77 300 win shoot winchester 180 power point bullets into one hole at 100yds. Sounds like u got one of those rifles.

Hi I recently tried shooting at 1000 yards.

My grouping was 6 inches at 1000 yards.

wind conditions calm at 2 knots
temperature 16 degrees.
projectile 180 grain Remington factory load.

At 200 yards I get pin hole groups, so is it just the ammo or is this me at 1000 ???
How do I improve?
If I did that well the first time at 1000yds with a factory rifle, factory ammo, I'd probably have everyone present sign and date the target, frame it, hang the rifle underneath it on the wall and quit right there because it's probably going to all go downhill from there! gun)

Great job, tell us more about it.

I want to know the type of ammo and caliber.
FYI factory core lock ammunition in the 180 grain from a standard length factory barrel will go sub sonic before it even reaches 1000 and that is from a 300WIN mag. My friend wanted to see what his savage would do and I took him to my long range spot and he shot a 4'X4' piece of 3/4" treated plywood and at 1000 yards the hits that hit the target we picked them out of the plywood with a knife they were in there sideways.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.