What situation was your break through moment in reloading?

I started reloading for a .308 my brother gave me for a wedding present. Not sure how impressed my new bride was with that gift but hey.... anyways that was the first rifle I reloaded for. Bought a Lee classic reloading press kit for $125 and started loading. Made a lot of mistakes but that was the first rifle I ever got to shoot sub MOA. These days I've shot groups as small as .25 MOA with that rifle.

morning, every time I hit the magic load for a testing
cartridge and caliber. these r the magic monments.
justme gbot tum

Since I don't think any of us were born reloading, we all started somewhere with a particular rifle. Just thought it would be interesting to know some of your break through or enlightenment moments when you first started reloading <SNIPPED STUFF>
For me, it wasn't reloading for a rifle that got me started, but rather going to my friend's house where he and his dad had a MEC shotgun press setup and they were reloading for a 12 ga. My friend showed me how to do it and I just loved the idea of making my own ammo. We loaded ammo, then hit the fields behind his house for quail & dove, then headed off to a pond a quarter of a mile away to try for ducks. This was back before lead was 'the bogeyman', of course. Shooting critters with shells we had just made was so cool. It was empowering.

Fast forward some years. I'm stationed at Kirtland AFB and have a Ruger GP-100 (.357 Mag) that is expensive to feed. A guy had posted in the base newsletter selling his RCBS JR3 press with all the other stuff, too (scale, powder thrower, trays, etc.) I went over and bought it all (I didn't realize how kind and generous he was being to me until later, God bless his soul.) My 'breakthrough' moment was when I put together some .357 Mag loads using 140 grain XTP bullets that would go into 1.5" at 25 yards from my 4" GP-100, with the occasional group just breaking the 1" barrier. Sweet! Plus, I could reload and shoot for a fraction of a box of "new" cartridges. I was hooked.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts