What should we make next?

KriegerBarrels

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Hi all, As we are always looking for new products to come out with, it is sometimes hard to have the time to develop new products, test, evaluate, and release to the public in a timely manner. We would like to concentrate on one or two new things at a time so the R&D doesn't become overwhelming. Some of the barrels we are considering are...

.20 caliber AR-15 barrels. These would most likely be done in our "Varmatch" tm style barrel only, in .920" or .812" muzzle diameters, up to 26" length. We have not made production runs of these as of yet because of one reason. The gas port. A Krieger Barrels "Gas Gun" has always had the gas port in a groove, not to encroach on the edge of a land at all. The issue is, we make our .20 cal barrels with 6 grooves & lands making the groove width around .060"...the gas port is .093". You see the dilema. We have made a few of these for testing and had really good results with accuracy, but the gas port cuts a (and sometimes both) groove(s). Does this matter? It seems not to, but it's been the way we have always made them. We would only make these with the understanding that there is no way the port could be solely in a groove.

"Drop in" barrels for Savage rifles. This seems to be our current biggest request. We do not currently do this, again, because of our belief of the way a barrel should be fitted. We do not offer any pre-threaded barrels for bolt guns for the simple reason of tolerance stacking. Say a rifle is manufactured with a 1-1/16" x 18tpi thread, That is not the whole story on this thread. There is tolerance in the major and minor diameters of the thread. Those need to be acounted for when making a drop in barrel. You need to make a drop in barrel able to fit the tightest receiver thread allowed by the factory tolerance. This means it will fit 70% of the guns loosely. To us, that is not an acceptable fitting for a premium accurate rifle. We are certainly capable of making a drop in barrel for the Savage, but do we compromise our standards on the quality of fitting to make these available?

AR-15 Carbines with the short gas system and 16.5" finish length. We used to make these, but they were never big sellers for us as most of our clients are precision marsmen, competitive shooters, varmint hunters, etc. The carbines are more popular with 3-Gun competitors, but you generally do not need the accuracy (and related cost) of a Krieger Barrel for this. However, with the current political climate, we are seeing more requests for these barrels again.

Drop in 10-22 barrels. These we would most likely do in only a .920" diameter straight, 1-16 twist, chambered for .22LR, Stainless Steel, 18". The WMRF should have a bolt of a different weight and we would not move enough of those to make a production size run of the chambering. The .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire also should use a different bore & groove dimension than the standard rimfire round, so this would be a completely different product.

Anytihing else you are looking for, please post up and let us know. We are always open to new ideas.

Thank you!

Last edited:
How about a standardized taper bore in light contours.. Hopefully, one that offers some improvement over all the other offerings out there(at any cost).
Or if too difficult, how bout a barrel which matches any standard -as actually measured(not air gaged).

Hey, you asked
And thank you

Mini 14 owners complain about the "thin barrel " it has. How about a thicker replacement barrel ... of course that would mean a gas block to match.

Definitely do the Savage drop-ins. You would sale a gazillion of them. As for the tolerances, other companies make drop-ins for the Savage and they shoot like a house a fire, i'm sure you guys could do it :D

You would make a lot of people happy with the Savage offering. Please?

I would have just ordered one from you if you offered a Savage pre fit. I have ordered 1 other one last year and will probably order another one this year. I'm not alone! :D Maybe my next one will be one of yours?

Hi all, As we are always looking for new products to come out with, it is sometimes hard to have the time to develop new products, test, evaluate, and release to the public in a timely manner. We would like to concentrate on one or two new things at a time so the R&D doesn't become overwhelming. Some of the barrels we are considering are...

.20 caliber AR-15 barrels. These would most likely be done in our "Varmatch" tm style barrel only, in .920" or .812" muzzle diameters, up to 26" length. We have not made production runs of these as of yet because of one reason. The gas port. A Krieger Barrels "Gas Gun" has always had the gas port in a groove, not to encroach on the edge of a land at all. The issue is, we make our .20 cal barrels with 6 grooves & lands making the groove width around .060"...the gas port is .093". You see the dilema. We have made a few of these for testing and had really good results with accuracy, but the gas port cuts a (and sometimes both) groove(s). Does this matter? It seems not to, but it's been the way we have always made them. We would only make these with the understanding that there is no way the port could be solely in a groove.

"Drop in" barrels for Savage rifles. This seems to be our current biggest request. We do not currently do this, again, because of our belief of the way a barrel should be fitted. We do not offer any pre-threaded barrels for bolt guns for the simple reason of tolerance stacking. Say a rifle is manufactured with a 1-1/16" x 18tpi thread, That is not the whole story on this thread. There is tolerance in the major and minor diameters of the thread. Those need to be acounted for when making a drop in barrel. You need to make a drop in barrel able to fit the tightest receiver thread allowed by the factory tolerance. This means it will fit 70% of the guns loosely. To us, that is not an acceptable fitting for a premium accurate rifle. We are certainly capable of making a drop in barrel for the Savage, but do we compromise our standards on the quality of fitting to make these available?

AR-15 Carbines with the short gas system and 16.5" finish length. We used to make these, but they were never big sellers for us as most of our clients are precision marsmen, competitive shooters, varmint hunters, etc. The carbines are more popular with 3-Gun competitors, but you generally do not need the accuracy (and related cost) of a Krieger Barrel for this. However, with the current political climate, we are seeing more requests for these barrels again.

Drop in 10-22 barrels. These we would most likely do in only a .920" diameter straight, 1-16 twist, chambered for .22LR, Stainless Steel, 18". The WMRF should have a bolt of a different weight and we would not move enough of those to make a production size run of the chambering. The .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire also should use a different bore & groove dimension than the standard rimfire round, so this would be a completely different product.

Anytihing else you are looking for, please post up and let us know. We are always open to new ideas.

Thank you!

I will add something to your list to consider .

I would love to see a stainless krieger for the M1A in 7/08 or 260 rem.

I have a M1 with one of your barrels and it will shoot under 1/2 MOA ( It is the first M1 that
I have ever seen that would do that all day long)

With the 7/08 every thing will fit and gas port pressure could be matched easy.

I would be happy to buy and try the first one you made .

Please consider
J E CUSTOM

+1 for Savage pre-fits!

There is of course some compromise involved in pre-fit barrels -- but Savage owners understand that. Your competition will be other barrel makers working within those same limitations; and given Krieger's reputation for excellence, I predict that you would be come an instant dominating force in that not insignificant market.

The thing about Savage rifles is, once you learn how easy it is to swap barrels, it becomes hard to limit oneself to just one barrel per rifle :)

Hi all, As we are always looking for new products to come out with, it is sometimes hard to have the time to develop new products, test, evaluate, and release to the public in a timely manner. We would like to concentrate on one or two new things at a time so the R&D doesn't become overwhelming.

I'd like to see barrels for the DPMS LR-(xxx) with a choice of chamber, throat depth, twist, contour , and gas port location. To save on R&D just mark the gas-port location and let the customer worry about tuning it since you can't know what loads each customer wants to use.

Barrels I'd buy now are:
7mm SAUM - 9" twist 26"
338-7mmBR 8" twist 16"

Last edited:
You have to make Savage prefit barrels. I have not put one on from another supplier that has not shot significantly better than the factory barrel.