What should this cost me??

Bullmark

Hey guys, I'm in the process of having a custom rifle built...and for the first time, I bought all the components myself, over several months. I think I have everything and am sending to the builder. My question is what should I expect to pay a top notch builder to do the work? I know I know, I just need to ask the builder, and I will.....but I wanna know what others are charging.
He will be getting the following:
-.30cal Bartlein carbon barrel 22"
-Mack Bros titanium short magnum action
-Timney trigger
-Hawkins Hunter flush fit M5 BM.
-Hawkins brake, needs to be timed and tapered
-McMillan Zenith stock painted and inletted by McWhorter.
The job is pretty standard, with the finished product being a .300wsm. The only additional cost is cerakote for the brake.
Ive bought my share of custom and factory rifles over the years and the costs have varied wildly.
I just have no idea what to expect this time around.
Any insight or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Mark Taylor
Roanoke, Va.

I don't know too much about the rifle building process....so I can't really walk through the steps. I've provided all the components and want the finished product....nothing out of the ordinary.....take these parts and make me a rifle.
What am I missing?

Time barrel to 12:00
Cut tenon/threads
Chamber barrel/set headspace
Cut and thread muzzle and crown
Turn brake, time, install
Cerakote all metal? Or leaving "in the white"? Nitride action/bolt?
Bed action to stock?
Bed bottom metal?
Install trigger and adjust
Final sssembly of rifle

Who's reamer? SAMMI or custom throating? I don't know that action….will it take 3" short action rounds? The WSM mag is 2.98" long.

Will is need feed work? I think no, but sometimes these actions need feed work with the AICS mags, I believe.

Do you want your trigger bolted on or do you want the cocking adjusted. Does it need anything?? Not sure if the safety will need work. I think Rem style doesn't.

Bedded? Pillars needed?

Just keep it simple.
From scratch.
for a good one, if you aren't willing to spend at least 4K then customize ( tune ) a first class production rifle. Lol
I've had two built and they both got to that magic plateau. ($4K)

I've always wondered if it would be better to buy three of certIn rifle of your choosing, shoot them, keep the most accurate and sell the other two.
Even losing money on selling the two used guns I think you come out ahead.
Never actually tried this theory but it sounds good in my mind.
That being that the intended rifle is for hunting purposes!

Hey guys, I'm in the process of having a custom rifle built...and for the first time, I bought all the components myself, over several months. I think I have everything and am sending to the builder. My question is what should I expect to pay a top notch builder to do the work? I know I know, I just need to ask the builder, and I will.....but I wanna know what others are charging.
He will be getting the following:
-.30cal Bartlein carbon barrel 22"
-Mack Bros titanium short magnum action
-Timney trigger
-Hawkins Hunter flush fit M5 BM.
-Hawkins brake, needs to be timed and tapered
-McMillan Zenith stock painted and inletted by McWhorter.
The job is pretty standard, with the finished product being a .300wsm. The only additional cost is cerakote for the brake.
Ive bought my share of custom and factory rifles over the years and the costs have varied wildly.
I just have no idea what to expect this time around.
Any insight or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Mark Taylor
Roanoke, Va.

$3-500. maybe up to $700 depending on how much work they have to put in to cerakoting.

my smith charged me right at 600 to chamber, throat for 170s, thread and install muzzle brake, a trigger tech trigger, amd installing everything in to chassis. he told me another 100 for a basic cerakote job but passed on it

I don't know too much about the rifle building process....so I can't really walk through the steps. I've provided all the components and want the finished product....nothing out of the ordinary.....take these parts and make me a rifle.
What am I missing?
What else are you asking from the Smith? Truing bolt face, pillar blocks, bedding...if it's just assembling your components...3-400.00 I think would be expected. Edit: I need to spend more time reading replies !!!

Well, it depends on what are you are doing with those components. A simple chamber and muzzle brake 6-8, if he timing your barrel. If its a full custom build with bedding with/without pillars, bore lapping, custom throat and/or neck, free floated (yes I have to mention that because I have scene 5k rifles that weren't free floated that should have been) and finished, thats going to be closer to 1,200.

All said and done with coating, brake, chamber/crown, trigger install, bedding, assembly..I've had em run from 800-1500 from some top notch smiths