What should this cost me??

Time barrel to 12:00
Cut tenon/threads
Chamber barrel/set headspace
Cut and thread muzzle and crown
Turn brake, time, install
Cerakote all metal? Or leaving "in the white"? Nitride action/bolt?
Bed action to stock?
Bed bottom metal?
Install trigger and adjust
Final sssembly of rifle
Back in FEB 2021 paid for almost exactly this work, minus MB. Barrel up action $400-bed stock (no bottom metal bed) $250-Cerakote all metal $220. One of the top rifle smiths in the Phoenix area, total $860.

I'd talk to a builder before buying everything......he may have insights.......it's his job.
^^^^^^^^ What a novel idea! How many times have I received 'parts' the are not as 'friendly' as they should be, when there was something available and compatible which could relate to a lower cost and better overall finished product. Sometimes, it's just not the "kit" to be assembled as many (who don't do the work themselves) think it is. As with most anything in 'real life' there is always the possibility that there is more to it than meets the eye........... If you expect your 'builder' to work for little, don't expect him to be there 'next time'. There seem to be gunsmith/builders everywhere these days, and their skill levels vary widely.

I only get thread ,chamber & crown done. I do the rest myself. I've paid as little as $200 and up to $600. I agree with Jakewebb : $800 to $1500 is expected for full assembly.

^^^^^^^^ What a novel idea! How many times have I received 'parts' the are not as 'friendly' as they should be, when there was something available and compatible which could relate to a lower cost and better overall finished product. Sometimes, it's just not the "kit" to be assembled as many (who don't do the work themselves) think it is. As with most anything in 'real life' there is always the possibility that there is more to it than meets the eye........... If you expect your 'builder' to work for little, don't expect him to be there 'next time'. There seem to be gunsmith/builders everywhere these days, and their skill levels vary widely.
Never truer words spoken! Just like in my competitive cattle penning days...I was riding and competing 200+ days a year...and EVERYONE WAS A TRAINER....yet most of the self proclaimed TRAINERS seldom finished in the Top 50...me...I just rode my horses and was happy they paid to be there!

I understand that a guy wants what he wants for his 'build'. But he should remember, sometimes that will come at an added cost. An example, I just finished 2 sets of custom machined scope mounts, rust blued and fitted to their respective firearms. The client provided the 'blanks', and dictated attachment method. If he'd have bothered to ask about 'blanks', wanted my input on attachment method, the result would have been lower in cost, IMO better attached, and visually and in a practical sense, "nicer". As it was, he risks damaging a fully machined, as part of the barrel on a long since not produced, German made .22 target rifle. Once you figure you've got it all figured out, someone with another 'view' may make it oh, so much simpler (and lower in overall cost in labor and parts).

Last edited:
I try not to be dictated to when doing a job for someone. I try to discuss the best approach, I don't want difficult jobs to be honest, this is not my full time job.
This is what I charge as standard rates, this goes up if it is not standard, which is discussed prior to commencement.
Chambering: $200. (This includes counterboring for bolt nose, extractor cuts)
Barrel threading: $200.
Crown cutting . $180.
Action trueing: $250.
Trigger install/adjustment: $125.
Bedding stocks: $250 (Pillar install extra $50 each)
Fitting everything once everything else is done: $350.
I haven't got a set price for muzzle threading, I have only ever done half a dozen and I charged an hourly rate.
I am putting one on my 300RUM when I get a chance, 3 rounds from a 7lb gun was enough for me.

Cheers.

I did consult my builder and get his opinion on several of the components. Believe me, I know a real custom rifle is not a kit, and the skill sets of builders vary wildly.
This guy has built a rifle for me before and it turned out great......and I didn't start out intending to buy every component, it just happened that way. I would have spent the same or even less having him acquire the parts.
This builder has done a bunch of competition rifles for Team USA shooters and other Industry brass....of which I am neither. He does a good job of asking me whenever there's a question or option in the process. He will send me a bill and I'll add a little something to it, and pay it.
The only component that I was certain that I wanted was the stock.....I like McWhorter's hand painted McMillans and didn't want to go any other route. He's gonna need to do some bedding and minor alterations for it to accept my BM, but I made sure he could and would be able to handle it before I bought the stock.
For the degree of skill and time it takes to take a list of parts and deliver a high quality rifle, I don't think the good builders are paid nearly enough.
I didn't ask about the typical prices to compare or to judge. I was just curious. At this point there are only two builders that I've had the privilege of using and they have both delivered an A+ every time. I can't wait to show ya'll the finished product. Then all I'll need is some shooting lessons and I'll be set...

I always wondered if it was smart to argue or micromanage with your builder. I consider it artwork and once I decided on my two builds I handed all the details of getting to final product to the builder.