Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 22 creed

• 22 hornet

• 17 hornet

• Total voters
For those that say 6br how hard on fur are they? If I kill a bobcat I'd like to make a rug mount out of it just trying to see what I'm in for if I go the 6br or 22 creed.

For those that say 6br how hard on fur are they? If I kill a bobcat I'd like to make a rug mount out of it just trying to see what I'm in for if I go the 6br or 22

For those that say 6br how hard on fur are they? If I kill a bobcat I'd like to make a rug mount out of it just trying to see what I'm in for if I go the 6br or 22 creed.
Depend on the bullet you are using and what type of expansion.

204 ruger gets my vote . But as many others have already pointed out I'd want something 6 mm preferably bigger more like 7 mm for wolf ! With that being said though if out and about with the trusty 204 and wolves were within 300 yards hopefully closer I'd not be afraid of sending one their way . I've owned 2 different 204 rugers and both have shot very well . A head shot on a stationary wolf out to 300 yards is plenty doable with practice . And those 20 cal bullets kill like lightning, when put in the penthouses

I know its not on your list and its a little big for varmints but I just picked up a 16.5" carbon fiber 6.5CM in a Christensen Ridgeline and out of the box uncleaned on the way home it shot .42" 4 shot group with store bought 120s off of a quilt I had in the back seat at 100 yds. I quickly went home and loaded some 100gr Sierras and It did .31" and a .39" 4 shot group! I am NOT a 6.5CM homer BUT this sucker will shoot anything you throw in it. So far Ive tried 143s all the way down to 100s. I carried it Varmint hunting twice now and the 100gr Sierras (#1710) with tear a west Texas fox in half. Violent expansion in small game so I have to say, I think I have me a new Varmint AND deer gun for this year. The 243 and 7mm-08 might stay in the safe for a while. I don't even know why I bought it. Lord knows I didn't need it but I sure am having fun with it LOL

I just bought a .17Mach 2 Volquartsen, put a 2-7x44 Vortex scope on it. Now I am looking to acquire a PCP Air Rifle in .25 calibre.
Both will be used for Prairie dogs and other varmints.

No one rifle can cover the extensive spectrum of varmint shooting - from high volume moderate range, moderate volume ranges up to 400 - 600, then really long ranges for bigger varmints.

.20 Practical - pros: lots of cheap .223 brass, small powder charges, cheap zippy bullets of relatively hi BC for weight. 3600 fps plus with 40 Vmax's., long barrel life.
cons; brass needs continual trimming, .20 Tac with sharper shoulder might help

.22-.250 - must have 8 or faster twist for 75 & heavier bullets - pros: relatively small powder charges for increased ballistic performance with 75 & heavier bullets, .224 bullets less expensive than 6mm bullets. light recoil. Surprisingly good long range performance for a .224. Swats down small rodents with authority & drops yotes fast. 75 H ELDM bullet of choice, good expansion, low form factor & hi velocity, used with RL16, 4350's, PP4000MR & some others.
cons: brass needs continual trimming, .22CM might fix this & give higher velocities.

6mm AI - 8-10 twist depending - more energy for bigger varmints at longer ranges. The 87 VMax works real good and will give good accuracy with 8 twist. The 95 Berger VLD is my choice for long range, great combo of low FF & hi velocity. I started out with an 8 twist that I shot out, then re-barreled to a 10 twist that limited me to 87 VMax's, next barrel will be an 8 twist. Minimum trimming. Wide powder selection, uses same powders as .22-.250 with 87's. High velocity. Rounds feed perfect in Ruger M77 MKII LA. Will see how 6mm CM compares, a little slower but might catch up in other aspects.
cons; fire forming brass & 6mm brass is sort of scarce. 6mm CM expected to fix brass availability problem.

The 6.5-06 gets some use with 120 H ELDM's.

My go to varmint cartridges are:
17-223 plentiful source of brass. I load 25 grain VMAX -300-350 yards
6x45 plentiful source of brass. I load 80 grain ballistic tip - 450-500 yards
.224 Valkyrie one of the only cartridges that you can find factory ammo for. I load 88 grain ELD M out to 1100 yards. I have tried several on your list and after 20 years the three mentioned are the ones that perform best fo me on everything from p-dogs to coyotes.

I have shot probably a semi trailer load of yotes and chucks with my 220 swift. Have even shot a few mulies with it. (head shots) Shot placement is everything. I also have a 28" fast twist 22-6mm imp shooting 80gr bergers. Its a hammer on speed goats, and would probably do a number on woofs as well. Again. Shot placement. Farthest yote kill has been 1120

Recent Posts