What should I expect from a custom 6.5-284??

Lots of factors in accuracy, so it is hard to tell but here are some things I try and check off.

1. Bedding? Is it bedded, in my opinion even chassis rifles get value out of a good bedding job.

2. Crown? What kind of shape is the crown in, and is it concentric?

3. Chamber? Same as the crown, and is there enough room or is it tight enough to give positive accuracy results?

4. Trigger? Do you have a good squeeze? Either by your own fault or by having your trigger adjusted to a good weight and break.

5. Scope? Is your scope in good condition, and set up properly?

6. Just because you like the 140 Berger doesn't mean your rifle will. I really wanted to shoot the 190 Grain SMK out of my 30-06, but I was consistantly getting groups around .75 I switched to a 168 Berger and now I am in the .300 range for 5 shot groups. Consequently F-Class in the 700 yard plus range is kicking my *** now. So I am about to work up a 185 Scenar load. With a lot of hope. As I bought 400 of the **** things.

I have a trued Rem 700 action with 26" Broughton 1-8" barrel in a Manners T2A stock and a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 on top. I've shot about 112 rounds through the gun trying to find "that magical load". I've tried Retumbo, H4350, and H4831SC using Berger 140VLDs. I've adjusting seating depths from jammed to jumping and powder charge weight as well.

I've gotten consisten .6" to .8" groups at 100 yards, and .8" - 1.3" at 200 yards. Is that all I should expect from that caliber and a custom rifle???!~!?!

If not, any suggestions??

Thanks!!!!
Shoot it at .300yds and then see what your best groups are with whatever your current best accuracy load is.

Honestly groups are less relevant than what you can do with your first cold bore shot when it comes to a hunting rifle.

If you can put that first shot exactly in the right spot follow up shots become quickly irrelevant.

It looks like you are staying between about .6-.3 MOA at 200yds anyhow so if it will perform to the same degree farther out you're doing a lot better than 99% of hunters will even hope for.

im not a br shooter just my 2 cents here
i have a 6.5-284 and have shot my best groups ever with it but never a very good
100 yrd group EVER.
this is my LR hunting gun and still shoots well after 12 years
when it was newer my best was a 200 yrd that was .006 " this is not a typo

I have pretty much the same set up and mine shoots ok at 200 yard zero but shoots better the further out i get. shooting the 140 bergers as well

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.