What should I do with this new 338 edge barrel?

Birddog75

Came home today on my birthday and found a surprise, a new pac-nor barrel chambered in 338-300 ultra. Well to get to the story, back in January I decided to rebarrel my savage into a 338 edge. I called pac-nor and told them I wanted to order a barrel. The nice lady asked if I had a small or large shanked savage. I didn't know for sure but thought it was a large shank. She said she would hold the order till I called back. Two days later I got around to finding out it was actually a small shank. I then found a slightly used 300 ultra for sale and decided to go that route and save some money. Never the less I didn't call back and cancel the order (my fault). So I've now got a 28" large shank 338 edge barrel. What should I do with it? I don't really want to put this barrel on a savage. Can I rethread it to fit a 700 action without loosing any length? Or do I need to buy a doner savage large shank action? And since I already have a 300 ultra can I ream it out to a 338 lapua or 338-378 weatherby? Any suggestions?

Put it up for sale in the parts section and don't stick any more money into it unless your going to buy a large shank action and keep it.

Remachining it to a remmy is not going to work not enough barrel dia. for a shoulder. A winchester will work with it's 1" thread tennon.

I have a savage target action sitting here with every thing but a barrel and would love to take it off your hands for what you payed for it.

let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.