What should I do with a pre64 Model 70 Winchester?

Shortmagman

A couple of years ago i bought a well used Pre 64 Model 70 in 3006. None of my rifles are safe queens so i want this gun to shoot well. 1-1.5 inches at 100 would be ok.Right now it is over 2 inches
1. Should i free flout the barrel? The barrel touches the stock just in front on the recoil lug.

2. Should i rebarrel it If flouting doesn't hel

3. Will this destroy the value.

had one identical in specs to yours. it also shot 3" groups. took it apart, and the stock was worn black on the right side in the front of the receiver, and on the left side in the rear. the barrel was touching on the right side, half way down. Thought it was toast till I saw that.
I bedded and floated it, and got it to a little under an 1" at a 100 with the rite ammo. A lot of pre 64 m70's were bedded back in the day. I don't think it would hurt the value

A couple of years ago i bought a well used Pre 64 Model 70 in 3006. None of my rifles are safe queens so i want this gun to shoot well. 1-1.5 inches at 100 would be ok.Right now it is over 2 inches
1. Should i free flout the barrel? The barrel touches the stock just in front on the recoil lug.

2. Should i rebarrel it If flouting doesn't hel

3. Will this destroy the value.
I have a pre 64 mod 70 Sporter in 264w. I called Winchester and they would replace barrel for free, but would have too shoot over a specified moa. Call them. This was a gun my dad bought after graduation ('61) , but shot less that 1 box of ammo. Safed it and bought a 700rem in 270win. I've been shooting it since '78 and about 2,500+ rounds down the pipe and still shoots now or better with my loads.

I did something easy before glass beding or a new stock. I torqued the action screws 35 inch pounds and shot a three shot group. Only had 3 left from some loads that I had shot 1.5 to 2.0 inches before. I was shocked. How about three shots in less that one half an inch! I need to load some more and see if this was luck or a fluke. My load was 165 Sierra and IMR-4064. Not fast but interesting.

I have a lot of experience tweaking pre 64 Model 70 rifles and always enjoy working with them. All pre 64 Model 70 rifles were made with wood to barrel contact at the front of the stock so if your rifle only has contact just in front of the recoil lug someone has already played with the wood to barrel contact. Your post #10 looks like you have already solved the problem. Other than that, the first thing I would do is to improve accuracy is to glass bed the recoil lug to keep the barrel centered in the barrel channel and to keep the action from moving when the rifle is fired. I always liked IMR 4064 but have now switched to Reloader 17 as my favorite 30-06 powder. A good load to test the rifle is the 150 grain Sierra GameKing with 57 grains of Reloader 17 with the base of the bullet seated flush with the rear of the case neck. That load is about as good as it gets with a pre 64 Model 70 rifle. Fast and accurate. Another good load with the 150 grain Sierra GameKIng is 51 grains of IMR 4064. It has always been said that if a rifle wouldn't shoot good with 52 grains of IMR 4064 and a 150 grain bullet it wouldn't shoot good with anything.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.I don't think anyone has done anything with the wood.The barrel touches the wood just in front of the recoil lug.It also touches the barrel in the barrel channel.

If you're going to use that Model 70 for hunting let me list some of the things that will change a good hunting rifle into a great hunting rifle. Just for starters I think a pre 64 Model 70 rifle is about as good as it gets and I have been hunting with them each year for many years.
IMG_4446.JPG

1. To make shooting enjoyable install a Pachmayr Decelerator pad.
2. To help control the trigger better install a Timney trigger.
3. To make the sling work better install McMillan sling swivel cups and detachable swivels.
4. A Leupold 3-9 x 40 with duplex reticle is a great 300 yard scope.

A good cleaning with a quality copper remover, montana , wipe out etc. and as you have found out a check of all fastners to a correct torque spec.Enjoy the rifle.