What should I build in 270 cal ?

Trm82,Congratulations on your Very nicely thought out rifle ,that baby's sharper then a new razor blade ,thks for posting and keeping us up to date !!!,Cheers🥳👏👍

Simply because I wanted to know the line of reasoning. That's just what I wanted. If dropping case size is going backwards, I was wondering why he thought going down in bullet diameter wasn't going backwards.
🤔 That's a bit relative my friend. For contrast example, your 9mm pistol is worthless at 200 yd, but at 200 yd a 7-STW is just getting started. Velocity has a part in this game too. Not just bullet diameter. A 270 Weatherby is a leap stronger than a 308 Win, for another maybe more practical example.

🤔 That's a bit relative my friend. For contrast example, your 9mm pistol is worthless at 200 yd, but at 200 yd a 7-STW is just getting started. Velocity has a part in this game too. Not just bullet diameter. A 270 Weatherby is a leap stronger than a 308 Win, for another maybe more practical example.
ShoNuff, I think they call that talking out of both sides of your mouth

Well after many trips out and a lot of 170 elites fired I'm moving on to 165 ablr and will try some 150 normal accubond also.
Could not get much below moa with the 170s And pressure before desired speed.
RL26 was the best speed which was 3080 fps then ran into pressure after and was 2" or greater at 200 yards.
I tried different primers and even went to retumbo and 8133 but had pressure before I got to 3000 fps .
Very disappointed because I've talked about getting a fast twist 270 for years now and I built this thing to shoot the 170 elites but that's how it goes.
Cross my fingers these next loads give me some sugar !!!

Last edited:
You could just have a slow barrel. I'm shooting the 165 matrix in my 19.5" 270 SS at 2860 with no pressure. I ran them up to 2980 fps but that was just to find my absolute max and not a good load. With equal barrel length I theoretically would be around 3035 fps using 25fps/inch barrel difference. I've shot the 165 matrix and 170 berger in my last 270ss barrel at basically identical speeds with the smaller bearing surface of the berger leveling the difference of the weight. I plan on messing with the 170 next week in the new barrel.
I've also been meaning to try the 165 lrab and hope I dont suffer the fate most do with having difficulty getting consistent accuracy out of them.
Can you get Hammers up there? Have you checked the twist on your barrel with a cleaning rod to verify it is what it is supposed to be? Was your brass twice fired at least now in this chamber?
On the other hand I also am fighting what I would assume at this time to be a problem with an action. I am on my second barrel with the same issues. First barrel was bartlein and now krieger. The action has been trued, new stock (bedded), 3 scopes, 2 bases.... The rifle pressures out really early and is not accurate at all.

Well after many trips out and a lot of 170 elites fired I'm moving on to 165 ablr and will try some 150 normal accubond also.
Could not get much below moa with the 170s And pressure before desired speed.
RL26 was the best speed which was 3080 fps then ran into pressure after and was 2" or greater at 200 yards.
I tried different primers and even went to retumbo and 8133 but had pressure before I got to 3000 fps .
Very disappointed because I've talked about getting a fast twist 270 for years now and I built this thing to shoot the 170 elites but that's how it goes.
Cross my fingers these next loads give me some sugar !!!

Question for the pros !! If I'm getting pressure with the 270 wby at lower speed does that mean if I rechamber to 27 nosler it will be on the low end for speed *** well ?
YMMV! Sometimes you need to find the best powder that your rifle likes. "My" .270 AI likes the H4831SC and currently propelling the 175 Matrix out of 30" Lilja barrel with 1:8" 3G at 2993 FPS. I have come close to 3100 FPS, but the group opened up and with signs of pressure. Others claim an additional 100 or so FPS with RL26, but I have not tried it yet. Good luck!

Last edited:
You could just have a slow barrel. I'm shooting the 165 matrix in my 19.5" 270 SS at 2860 with no pressure. I ran them up to 2980 fps but that was just to find my absolute max and not a good load. With equal barrel length I theoretically would be around 3035 fps using 25fps/inch barrel difference. I've shot the 165 matrix and 170 berger in my last 270ss barrel at basically identical speeds with the smaller bearing surface of the berger leveling the difference of the weight. I plan on messing with the 170 next week in the new barrel.
I've also been meaning to try the 165 lrab and hope I dont suffer the fate most do with having difficulty getting consistent accuracy out of them.
Can you get Hammers up there? Have you checked the twist on your barrel with a cleaning rod to verify it is what it is supposed to be? Was your brass twice fired at least now in this chamber?
On the other hand I also am fighting what I would assume at this time to be a problem with an action. I am on my second barrel with the same issues. First barrel was bartlein and now krieger. The action has been trued, new stock (bedded), 3 scopes, 2 bases.... The rifle pressures out really early and is not accurate at all.
Yes the brass is fired a couple times in this chamber.
There is one spot in Canada that I know that I can get hammers . They have the 117 gr and I almost bought them but with shipping it's insane what they'd cost. I think it was close to $200 for a box.

Yes the brass is fired a couple times in this chamber.
There is one spot in Canada that I know that I can get hammers . They have the 117 gr and I almost bought them but with shipping it's insane what they'd cost. I think it was close to $200 for a box.
Matrix are in Canada correct? How much would it cost per box for those? And I would try to shoot for groups out to your intended range limits. Sometimes even 200 or 300 yards won't give you the full picture of potential.

Matrix are in Canada correct? How much would it cost per box for those? And I would try to shoot for groups out to your intended range limits. Sometimes even 200 or 300 yards won't give you the full picture of potential.
Matrix is but from what i can find on them it looks like they only make pistol bullets now and might not be making rifle bullets any more. I did order some Chinchaga bullets to try .

Recent Posts