What should I build in 270 cal ?

Good Choice...

My 270 Wby... 28" Benchmark barrel, 1-9 twist, Mausingfield action.

170 Bergers @ 3225fps (Magnetospeed chrono) using RL26. ES of less than 10 averaged over 10 rounds. Some headroom left...

The 270 Wby is a great cartridge...
Yup I'm going with the 270 wby. I knew that you get that kind of performance which is part of the reason I'm doing the wby

Yup I'm going with the 270 wby. I knew that you get that kind of performance which is part of the reason I'm doing the wby
Load the 170s long...Mine are loaded at 3.5" COAL. My rounds will not fit in a MkV Wby action magazine box (mag box can only accommodate at a max of 3.4" COAL)

So..question for the masses. this 270win Savage Axis II (overwatch model) that I won is a great accurate shooting rifle right out of the box. However it's a 1:10tw and really has no place in my needs category (being addressed by other calibers) I'd like to keep it a 270win as I have components now. I'd like to keep it light as possible. What barrel twist, barrel composition, length, free bore, etc; should I pursue, that would be available in Canada 🇨🇦? I want to shoot 170gr Berger pills almost exclusively (or the like in that wt. class). Not really concerned about mag feed vs port feed. thoughts.

I made a dummy round that measures 3.636" and when I put in my fierce rival action I have tons of room left in mag. Like about 1/4 " still
Off topic fo a minute. Just thought of something after reading this post. Do you flow if sako 85 actions are compatible with fierce stocks/chassis?

Off topic fo a minute. Just thought of something after reading this post. Do you flow if sako 85 actions are compatible with fierce stocks/chassis?
I've actually had lots of both those brands but I can not answer that question.
I would think so but I don't want to say for sure.

Last edited:
I made a dummy round that measures 3.636" and when I put in my fierce rival action I have tons of room left in mag. Like about 1/4 " still
The 270 WBY I loaded for was easy to make accurate loads. With the 170 Berger I'm not sure but you'll have a good magbox for it!

So..question for the masses. this 270win Savage Axis II (overwatch model) that I won is a great accurate shooting rifle right out of the box. However it's a 1:10tw and really has no place in my needs category (being addressed by other calibers) I'd like to keep it a 270win as I have components now. I'd like to keep it light as possible. What barrel twist, barrel composition, length, free bore, etc; should I pursue, that would be available in Canada 🇨🇦? I want to shoot 170gr Berger pills almost exclusively (or the like in that wt. class). Not really concerned about mag feed vs port feed. thoughts.

Can't help you with the Canadian part. I'd be looking at Berger' recommended twist for that bullet. Looking at their twist rate calculator, I'd go 8 or 8.5" twist.

John

BEFORE you put some SERIOUS Money into it, you might want to shoot / try, a 140 Berger, Classic Hunter or, HVLD's with, a stiff Load of, IMR 7828 or, RL-26 at, 3,175 - 3,200 FPS,.. AH,. you might be surprised about, how FAR it will "shoot" ( and Kill Game ) with, those Bullets that, are still going, OVER, 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards ! WITHOUT, the RECOIL of, those,.. 170's !

Last edited:
I do have the bullets (Amongst others) and IMR7828SC, Hybrid-V 100, StaBall 6.5, N-160, superformance, H4350, H4831 and others that I haven't tested yet. I've already done some testing (170rds done the tube) and am not getting the results that I'm happy with. Best I accomplished was with 145eldx and Hybrid-V 100. I suspect its partially due to the 20" barrel. Besides I'm really wanting to shoot heavier pills. Appreciate your response though. And if this barrel swap doesn't happen then I'll likely just shoot 110gr TTSX as an all around bush gun for BB, coyote, WT deer. and varmint.

270 Win.

Hope you like.

i put together something similar. and their video was my inspiration

should break 2900fps on RL26 and 170gr EOLs maybe 3k depending

so of a course i'm gonna vote for the 270win

edit- just saw on a magnum BF, do a 270 sherman short

Attachments

• 37A38CB5-E582-4593-B978-694F08F5D26F.jpeg
    37A38CB5-E582-4593-B978-694F08F5D26F.jpeg
    771.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 1F0530C5-9F7F-4E1B-AA57-7B0B6EEAD436.jpeg
    1F0530C5-9F7F-4E1B-AA57-7B0B6EEAD436.jpeg
    791 KB · Views: 49
BEFORE you put some SERIOUS Money into it, you might want to shoot / try, a 140 Berger, Classic Hunter or, HVLD's with, a stiff Load of, IMR 7828 or, RL-26 at, 3,175 - 3,200 FPS,.. AH,. you might be surprised about, how FAR it will "shoot" ( and Kill Game ) with, those Bullets that, are still going, OVER, 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards ! WITHOUT, the RECOIL of, those,.. 170's !
That's the bullet I'm shooting in my current 270 wby and they are crazy accurate. I'm using RL 26 and launching the 140 CH at 3370 FPS

This gun will be specifically for 170 so I hope they shoot great.

Last edited: