What should I build in 270 cal ?

270 wsm seen u have reloading gear. 1in 8 twist way to go but if its a std 270 wsm action you will be restricted to single shot loads.
I do a single shot load in my sako 85 . 145 eldx 3330 fps and accuracy is outstanding. Here in New Zesland 270 wsm is the one gun for all chamois deer and elk. Best shot buck chamios at 810 yards.

It's nice to see so many 277 fans here 👍and many great suggestions but I think due to availability these days of components I'm going to do the 270 wby. I know a guy that sells reloading supply's that's closing the doors and he has 270 wby brass and 170 elites to add to my current stock pile and since I currently already shoot the 270 wby I know and have the powders that work in it.
I think the idea of the Sherman magnum but I want something that I can easily get brass for.

I have a very healthy supply of RL26 and If I knew it was the powder that worked in a 27 I probably would of went that route but I don't want to be hunting for powders it likes and not be able to find them right now.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys

I have decided I'm going build a fast twist 270 something not sure which one to go with.
I can get my hands on a 1-8 twist benchmark spiral fluted # 4.
I'm thinking I'd like to go 27 nosler and shoot 170 elites or go with a 270 WBY which I have lots of brass for or a 270 wsm which I have everything to load for also.
it will be built on a Fierce Rival that is currently a 7Rem.
I do like horsepower so will probably go 27 nosler but would like to here some opinions on what you'd do.
thanks Guys
I'm having déjà vu. No..that was what to call some new 270 cal. Can't rightly remember what that ended up being called. Anyhow back to you build. I'd say 27 nosler but I'd go 8.5 tw unless you're thinking of wt limit beyond 170gr. Your bullet has achieved max stability with an 8-1/2 tw. Wouldn't there be unnecessary higher stresses on the throat? However if you already have brass and powder then you can spend that savings on a trigger etc;

Consider a 280AI instead, for multiple reasons.
I have a 7 rem now so why would I down grade to a 280 AI ? I know the 280 AI has its loyal followers but it's just not for me. Plus I have a magnum bolt face.
This gun will be so simple for the smith to build !! The gun needs nothing but the new barrel chambered and installed and perhaps the barrel channel opened up a hair.

But if you care to explain your multiple reasons Let'er rip !! I'm willing to here what you think.

The 270WSM is an excellent, well-balanced round! With 140 Hammers at 3200fps it is more than capable of taking mulies, elk, black bears, etc. out to well beyond 500 yds.! With tough, heavy bullets it will take the largest of American game! One step below magnums, it's a pleasure to shoot!

In deer rifles, my current love affair is with the 270 WSM! Mine is an accurized Rem 700 with 8.5 twist 26 in. barrel. Everything I've tried in 130-160gn so far shoots under .65 in. Haven't tried Hammers yet. 5-shot 140 AccuBonds group at .35 in. at 100 yd., with velocity at 3180fps. Great rifle out to 600 yds!

Absolutely, Love my .270 WSM, Launching 140 Berger Classics ( a measly .528 BC ) at 3,185 FPS, but, it's shooting 1/2 MOA WHEN, I can do MY Part, all the way out to 400 yards ( Not bad for, a Sub 8 Pound Rifle ! ) Groups open up past 400, tho ! Shot, a 5 inch, dia. 5 shot group at, 700 Yards, a couple of Weeks ago, in light Winds ( 5 MPH approx. ). Yup,.. 700 yds, IS my Max distance at, Big Game ! That Bullet, is STILL going OVER,. 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards. the .270 WSM is Quietly, Popular amongst Big Game Hunters for, a Reason ( A LAZER with, Light Recoil and Kills, very WELL ! ).

Absolutely, Love my .270 WSM, Launching 140 Berger Classics ( a measly .528 BC ) at 3,185 FPS, but, it's shooting 1/2 MOA WHEN, I can do MY Part, all the way out to 400 yards ( Not bad for, a Sub 8 Pound Rifle ! ) Groups open up past 400, tho ! Shot, a 5 inch, dia. 5 shot group at, 700 Yards, a couple of Weeks ago, in light Winds ( 5 MPH approx. ). Yup,.. 700 yds, IS my Max distance at, Big Game ! That Bullet, is STILL going OVER,. 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards. the .270 WSM is Quietly, Popular amongst Big Game Hunters for, a Reason ( A LAZER with, Light Recoil and Kills, very WELL ! ).
This is my mcwhorter 270wby at 825 yards with 140 classic hunter at 3375 FPS

Attachments

• B506F709-5165-4F6B-87E2-8A2EE64E2379.jpeg
    B506F709-5165-4F6B-87E2-8A2EE64E2379.jpeg
    962.8 KB · Views: 59
It's nice to see so many 277 fans here 👍and many great suggestions but I think due to availability these days of components I'm going to do the 270 wby. I know a guy that sells reloading supply's that's closing the doors and he has 270 wby brass and 170 elites to add to my current stock pile and since I currently already shoot the 270 wby I know and have the powders that work in it.
I think the idea of the Sherman magnum but I want something that I can easily get brass for.

I have a very healthy supply of RL26 and If I knew it was the powder that worked in a 27 I probably would of went that route but I don't want to be hunting for powders it likes and not be able to find them right now.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys
Good Choice...

My 270 Wby... 28" Benchmark barrel, 1-9 twist, Mausingfield action.

170 Bergers @ 3225fps (Magnetospeed chrono) using RL26. ES of less than 10 averaged over 10 rounds. Some headroom left...

The 270 Wby is a great cartridge...

Last edited: