What should I build in 270 cal ?

I have decided I'm going build a fast twist 270 something not sure which one to go with.
I can get my hands on a 1-8 twist benchmark spiral fluted # 4.
I'm thinking I'd like to go 27 nosler and shoot 170 elites or go with a 270 WBY which I have lots of brass for or a 270 wsm which I have everything to load for also.
it will be built on a Fierce Rival that is currently a 7Rem.
I do like horsepower so will probably go 27 nosler but would like to here some opinions on what you'd do.
thanks Guys
WSM would get my vote

I have decided I'm going build a fast twist 270 something not sure which one to go with.
I'm thinking I'd like to go 27 nosler and shoot 170 elites or go with a 270 WBY which I have lots of brass for or a 270 wsm which I have everything to load for also.
I do like horsepower so will probably go 27 nosler but would like to here some opinions on what you'd do.
thanks Guys
7saum...

Given the accessibility of components currently, and that you have plenty of 270 Weatherby brass, I think that makes the 270wby the obvious choice. I have one in a Cooper 56 7.5 twist. Its a screamer shooting mono's and it does all you want on midsize game out to 650+ yds and well beyond. It has an elk to its credit also. Hammers and Bergers shoot like laser beams out of it. People can say all they want to about the shortages easing up. This is the longest drought I've seen and I've been doing this since 1969. I can't see how many of our bedrock manufacturers can continue in business not "selling anything". Since you already have a 270wby you are familiar with the foibles of reloading belted magnums.

thanks Guys
270 Win, defiance rebel sheep port action, bench mark bbl with 1:10 twist, IMR 4955 start lower end of powder charge, Nosler 150gr long range accubond. Plenty of horse power

27 Nosler would be the only 270 chambering I have any interest in, that's what I would run.

Last edited:
I spent the last couple weeks debating a fast twist 270 and landed on the 270 AI for all the same reasons a 280 AI is a great round. I have 280AI bushing die set so all I need is another bushing for the 270. Krieger barrel is on order and looking forward to sharing results next summer.

if I didn't already have a 270 Wby Mark V with a Lilja barrel that shoots lights out I may have went that route. I'll cross that bridge when I shoot that barrel out. Load work for a non-overbore magnum does sound attractive after the last few battles though.

I built a 6.8 western using a xcaliber 7.5 twist barrel done by crown barrel works...shoots really well...running 145gr at 3000fps....473" groups at 100yds during break in.

One other option for you is the 6.5saum with 140gr bergers at 3200fps. I have one and love it, btw, very low recoil. A real dream to shoot and a 1 shot is dead caliber.
I LIKE, light weight, Sub 8 Pound, "Hunting", Rifles.
I HATE, too much,.. Recoil as, I like to PRACTICE, Field Positions on, Steel Plates.
I WON'T USE, a Brake on an,.. Elk , Moose or, Deer Rifle ( I may NOT have Time or, Forget,.. Plug, use ! )
I LOVE,.. Lazer like, Velocity and "Accuracy" ! NO need, to Dial the Scope,.. til' PAST, 350 Yards !
I LIKE, the .270 WSM with, 140 grain Bullets ( getting 1/2 MOA, using, 140 Bergers at, 3,185 FPS, now )
ALL wrapped up, in a Light weight, 7 lb., 10 ounce ( all up ), 1-10 twist, TIKKA T-3, SS,.. Rifle !
The Fast Twist and 170 EOL's is NICE but, has, MORE,.. Recoil !
And of your "Choices", the .270 WSM is easier on Barrels than,.. the others !