What should I build in 270 cal ?

Trm82

I have decided I'm going build a fast twist 270 something not sure which one to go with.
I can get my hands on a 1-8 twist benchmark spiral fluted # 4.
I'm thinking I'd like to go 27 nosler and shoot 170 elites or go with a 270 WBY which I have lots of brass for or a 270 wsm which I have everything to load for also.
it will be built on a Fierce Rival that is currently a 7Rem.
I do like horsepower so will probably go 27 nosler but would like to here some opinions on what you'd do.
thanks Guys

I LIKE, light weight, Sub 8 Pound, "Hunting", Rifles.
I HATE, too much,.. Recoil as, I like to PRACTICE, Field Positions on, Steel Plates.
I WON'T USE, a Brake on an,.. Elk , Moose or, Deer Rifle ( I may NOT have Time or, Forget,.. Plug, use ! )
I LOVE,.. Lazer like, Velocity and "Accuracy" ! NO need, to Dial the Scope,.. til' PAST, 350 Yards !
I LIKE, the .270 WSM with, 140 grain Bullets ( getting 1/2 MOA, using, 140 Bergers at, 3,185 FPS, now )
ALL wrapped up, in a Light weight, 7 lb., 10 ounce ( all up ), 1-10 twist, TIKKA T-3, SS,.. Rifle !
The Fast Twist and 170 EOL's is NICE but, has, MORE,.. Recoil !
And of your "Choices", the .270 WSM is easier on Barrels than,.. the others !

Last edited:
I have decided I'm going build a fast twist 270 something not sure which one to go with.
I can get my hands on a 1-8 twist benchmark spiral fluted # 4.
I'm thinking I'd like to go 27 nosler and shoot 170 elites or go with a 270 WBY which I have lots of brass for or a 270 wsm which I have everything to load for also.
it will be built on a Fierce Rival that is currently a 7Rem.
I do like horsepower so will probably go 27 nosler but would like to here some opinions on what you'd do.
thanks Guys
270 wby. Fast twist Will do what you want! You have the brass won't use as much powder as the 27 Nosler I don't believe and I've heard all the negative "stuff" price rimmmed etc and it ain't necessary to repeat it and why would the poster even care?

I built a switch barrel on a Win Model 70 EW with a 264WM, 270Bee and 338WM.
All had 10" twists….earlier this year I ordered a 9" twist 270Bee barrel, it came back from being cryo'd about 3 weeks ago and I have only fired a few rounds of 150g ABLR down the pipe to run it in. Very first 5 shots were all touching, very impressed.
Finished length is 28", it was 30" but I lopped 2" off and recrowned because there must have been a chip or something caught near the muzzle when I ran the boresighter in there. Anyway, it was a longitudinal scratch about 3/4" long.

My vote is definitely a 270 Weatherby…130's @ 3500fps really drops animals like the hammer of Thor. I'd go 8" twist, which is what I should have done, but the really long bullets are almost impossible to get in Australia anyway.

Cheers.

Last edited: