What short action std. Bolt face caliber is most versatile?

Timnterra

I'm building another custom rifle and all I need to buy is the barrel and reamer/ gauges. I have a short action Remington 700 with .308 bolt face and a grey bull stock. If you were going to build a short action rifle what caliber would you choose? I'm leaning toward the .260rem I don't own any 6.5 cartridges but I'm also tempted by the 6mm rem or .243ai. I don't want to build a .308 they are a dime a dozen. But I also don't want to be stuck with a caliber that I can't find components for. I will probably be using this rifle for coyotes, varmints, deer and steel shooting in wide open South Dakota. What do you guys think what rifle would you choose?

Depends on how far you want to shoot.

-243 Win or 243 AI is nice for shorter ranges. Accurate with mild recoil. I'm sure plenty of deer have been taken past 400 yards but I don't feel comfortable with the 6mm bullets past that for medium game. Varmints and steel are fine.

-257 Roberts. Just throwing it out there.

-260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmor, 6.5x47 Lapua and 6.5 SAUM are nice for 6.5mm.

-7mm-08 and 284 Win. You can shoot high BC 7mm bullets but I'm not sure if you seat them out if these will still fit a SA.

I'm leaning towards building a 6.5x47 Lapua myself because of the inherent accuracy of that round although the other three 6.5's have more authority at 600 yards. I would really like to build a 6.5 SAUM but brass being so scarce is holding me back.

I had totally forgot about the Creedmor cartridges. I have several friends that love and swear by them. My question on that is Hornady the only manufacturer that makes creedmor brass? And how is it better that a standard 243 or 260?

Yes, as of now Hornady only makes 6mm CM brass but Win & Nosler are making 6.5 Creed brass.

The worst part of the Rem Short action is the Short action :D For fun on the go with a standard bolt face I would have said 6mmAI or 6x284, both loaded with 105's or better. The .243AI might be your best bet for ballistic performance (unless you run the 6.5 SAUM) while running the short action. You might still be able to get good results from the 6mmAI but I honestly believe the x284 is best suited to a long action.

t

The 250savage improved is a new one to me. I just built a 250savage for a friend who wanted to only shoot light bullets in the 70-85gr class and he really likes it. I have not really paid much attention to .257s because they don't have as many bullet offerings. How does the 250improved compare to the 257roberts?

I'm building another custom rifle and all I need to buy is the barrel and reamer/ gauges. I have a short action Remington 700 with .308 bolt face and a grey bull stock. If you were going to build a short action rifle what caliber would you choose? I'm leaning toward the .260rem I don't own any 6.5 cartridges but I'm also tempted by the 6mm rem or .243ai. I don't want to build a .308 they are a dime a dozen. But I also don't want to be stuck with a caliber that I can't find components for. I will probably be using this rifle for coyotes, varmints, deer and steel shooting in wide open South Dakota. What do you guys think what rifle would you choose?

The 308 case is about optimum for a short action standard bolt face so with your dislike of the 308, I would recommend the 7/08 or the 260 Rem.

They are simply a 308 necked down to 7/08 or 6.5/08 and are inherently accurate.

Both are good to over 600 yards on deer size game also.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

J E Custom
I don't dislike the .308 i have owned several and I love the barrel life, inherent accuracy and mass availability of components I'm just looking for something different this time around.

J E Custom
I don't dislike the .308 i have owned several and I love the barrel life, inherent accuracy and mass availability of components I'm just looking for something different this time around.

I was looking for the same thing two years ago. Short action, versatile cartridge, something a little different. I had redhawk rifles build me a stainless 284 win.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts