What shell holder for RUM cases? Is my brass ok?

Buck Fever

I bought reloading dies that came without a shell holder. I was ready to order but I asked a friend if I could borrow a shell holder to get started. He let me borrow what he uses for loading 300 WM but I can't get my RUM brass in to the shell holder. Either the rim depth or the chamfer is slightly off. I think it was a Redding or RCBS #4 shell holder.

Before I buy a shell holder based on a chart, what is working for everyone else?

If anyone else has run in to this, let me know because I would like to know if my brass is ok and this is normal.

Thanks for the help.

RCBS #38. Just bought one for a 30 nosler which is the same parent case.

edit: actually I just tried a case in my #4 RCBS and it fit fine, as did the #43 I have that was for 300WSM.

Your RUM brass should use the same shell holder as any H&H belted mag case. If they don't fit your brass was way over pressure. Are these reloads from some one else or 1x factory brass.

RUM case head is .534. RCBS #38 (maybe #4) or Redding #6
WM case head is .532. RCBS #4, Redding #6
Majority of my RUM (or 28 Nosler, SAUM, SS) brass rarely fit in my RCBS 7RM/.300WM shell holders. But they do in my Redding #6 shell holder. They definitely fit tighter than .300WM cases though.
Not necessarily a case of overpressure causing the cases to not fit in the wrong shell holder.

I bought some 1x brass but there were a few new and both 1x and new fit the same in the #4 shell holder.

The brass looks fine and obviously the 1x was loaded with some shell holder.

I dont think it is pressure at all because the primers look fine and there are no extractor swipes or ejector marks.

RUM case head is .534. RCBS #38 (maybe #4) or Redding #6
WM case head is .532. RCBS #4, Redding #6
Majority of my RUM (or 28 Nosler, SAUM, SS) brass rarely fit in my RCBS 7RM/.300WM shell holders. But they do in my Redding #6 shell holder. They definitely fit tighter than .300WM cases though.
Not necessarily a case of overpressure causing the cases to not fit in the wrong shell holder.
This seems like it would explain it, I'm not crazy and the brass is fine.

I'm going to go with that and order a #38 or #6 unless there is some other issue I'm missing.

Thanks a lot.

I have had this interference issue with some shell holders on this family. a lee 5 is what I am currently using. a lot of trying schit, but at least they are not expensive.

I measured them from top of shell holder to inside where case head rests and they are same, 0.124", probably just the flight difference in the case head diameter, even though maybe only a couple to 5 thousandths. Enough to want to keep case centered too the die and not be shifted in the Shell holder slightly. WSM's take a different one yet, #43.

Just adding to the topic here. But a friend wanted me to get a good load for his 28 nosler ( said he didn't have the time). Says it takes a #38 on the box he left me a #4. I also have a #43 the only difference I see is a little thickness. So why so many that fit different cases.

Just adding to the topic here. But a friend wanted me to get a good load for his 28 nosler ( said he didn't have the time). Says it takes a #38 on the box he left me a #4. I also have a #43 the only difference I see is a little thickness. So why so many that fit different cases.
at least it's the same as the rums nosler could have made it fit something different

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.