what scopes have a lot of elevation

I have a few scopes with over 30 mils of travel, I use a 20 moa rail and Burris XTR rings. I can usually end up with at least 29 mils of travel when removing the zero stop and using the appropriate inserts to get my zero to the bottom of the turret travel.

I'm shooting a 338 Lapua with a 30" bbl . 300 gr Bergers . I was getting 2939FPS . my new lot of powder is slow , 2860 FPS . I've just worked with the nosler 300 gr custom competition bullets @ 2934 FPS . I shot 2" @ 500 yards with them , but I haven't stretched them out yet , I don't know what to expect .

I'm using a 8-32 NXS , 65 moa . I goofed when I bought it . I found it at a good price , couldn't get my wallet out fast enough , and bought without checking the specs . I thought it would have the same elevation as my 5.5-22 NXS , 100moa . I was WRONG !! I've worked on the 40 moa rail and have it set up to where I'm getting 60 moa usable , 5moa under the zero stop . I get 20 moa on the reticle . since it's a SFP I turn the power down and get 30 MOA on the reticle when I shoot 2375 yards .

I tried the Valdada ram 200 rocker base . it raised my sight height about 1" . it was very uncomfortable to shoot . I added another cheek piece to get a cheek weld . it might have been ok from a bench . I shoot prone, that extra inch of sight height goofed up the way the stock fit in to my shoulder , the stock felt to low .

what I'd like to do is get a scope with a lot more elevation . I think if I had 130 - 140 moa I'd be able to shoot anything we can get at our range and still have a 100 yard zero . chances of me shooting at a different range is very very slim .

this is why I asked about the Valdada recon scope that has 150 moa . I don't hear of these scopes , good ,bad , or ugly . if it had decent glass and tracked perfectly I think I'd give it a try . the youtube that's in post #10 . that guy showed the recon scope , but didn't say much about it .

I really appreciate all the info guys , thanks for responding . Jim

rear rifle , pic of my rifle when I had the rocker scope base , and the extended cheek piece .

P7180157.JPG

Fellas what scopes have a lot of elevation adjustment ? I've found the Valdada recon G2 has 150 moa elevation . does anyone have an opinion on this scope ?
I also know of the March genesis , having huge amounts of elevation .
I tried using the Valdada adjustable mount , but it raised the sight height to where I wasn't comfortable shooting it . what else is out there ? thanks Jim
Every one placed on a 20 MOA picatinny
rail?

the valdada has 150 moa total travel , so to get full use of that it would need to be on a rail with more than 20 moa .

the March genesis is a different kind of set up . as the elevation turret is turned , it actually moves the whole scope . the higher magnification one has 400 moa . the lower magnification one has , I think , 300 moa .

I'm shooting a 338 Lapua with a 30" bbl . 300
If you have plans to ever get a longer barrel go ahead and get the Charlie. You might start having barrel occlusion issues out around 36" (depending on a lot of things). I have NF ATACRs in Spuhr 6mil and ERA-TAC 20 mil mounts, neither are uncomfortably high to shoot from, no occlusion issues to 30" so far. I'm not planning on taking the scope out of the Spuhr ever, so a matched Charlie should work well for me with that set up.

Seems like an easier solution to order one set where your scope needs to be to let you dial the scope all the way down again once you max out and restart your drops. No reason to re-test tracking or truing with a new scope, and you don't have to make any mechanical scope adjustments to return to a 100 yard zero.

I'm shooting a 338 Lapua with a 30" bbl . 300 gr Bergers . I was getting 2939FPS . my new lot of powder is slow , 2860 FPS . I've just worked with the nosler 300 gr custom competition bullets @ 2934 FPS . I shot 2" @ 500 yards with them , but I haven't stretched them out yet , I don't know what to expect .

I'm using a 8-32 NXS , 65 moa . I goofed when I bought it . I found it at a good price , couldn't get my wallet out fast enough , and bought without checking the specs . I thought it would have the same elevation as my 5.5-22 NXS , 100moa . I was WRONG !! I've worked on the 40 moa rail and have it set up to where I'm getting 60 moa usable , 5moa under the zero stop . I get 20 moa on the reticle . since it's a SFP I turn the power down and get 30 MOA on the reticle when I shoot 2375 yards .

I tried the Valdada ram 200 rocker base . it raised my sight height about 1" . it was very uncomfortable to shoot . I added another cheek piece to get a cheek weld . it might have been ok from a bench . I shoot prone, that extra inch of sight height goofed up the way the stock fit in to my shoulder , the stock felt to low .

what I'd like to do is get a scope with a lot more elevation . I think if I had 130 - 140 moa I'd be able to shoot anything we can get at our range and still have a 100 yard zero . chances of me shooting at a different range is very very slim .

this is why I asked about the Valdada recon scope that has 150 moa . I don't hear of these scopes , good ,bad , or ugly . if it had decent glass and tracked perfectly I think I'd give it a try . the youtube that's in post #10 . that guy showed the recon scope , but didn't say much about it .

I really appreciate all the info guys , thanks for responding . Jim

rear rifle , pic of my rifle when I had the rocker scope base , and the extended cheek piece .

View attachment 368632
Hi there, try watching the YouTube channel " Mark and Sam after work 4aw " again. He has several videos on the subject, and some of his setups will get him @ 300moa... need to watch again...

My Leupold VX3. HD Windplex 8.5 x to 25x is mounted on simple Leupold Dual Dove tail Mounts ,because this is a hunting rifle ! There was plenty of easy adjustments for shooting at 1000 and 1200 yards ! No 20 MOA rail needed!! I cannot say that at 1400 or 1500 yards some 10 or 20 MOA may be of benefit! For this. Weatherby MarkV ,in 270 Weatherby Mag, Shooting a 150 Grn.ABLR at 1200 yards at the Bang Steel Shooting. School this scope is just fine ,with plenty of elevation adjustment. My 2cents

Attachments

• FF4C71A9-8672-4A6A-A9F6-B165ED33F3EE.jpeg
    FF4C71A9-8672-4A6A-A9F6-B165ED33F3EE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
I'll read up on the Charlie .
Our elevation adders are described by two concepts: mirror and wedge prisms.
The mirror version mount to the scope or to a rail (and are interchangeable for mounts)- actually all of our products are totally interchangeable and can be scope or rail mounted with three screws.
The mirror systems can easily go well beyond the prism units. At some point chromatic issues arrive and the prism starts falling out. Also by the time you see the prism limits- you are also most likely seeing your barrel. The mirror system starts 1.3" above your scope centerline, and must be taken into account during a sight in event and in a ballistic computer. The mirrors can go north of 900moa. The enhanced version will go well over 1500moa. You will also see an adjustable unit this summer and it has the ability to change from negative values to over 600moa with a "click" - no tools required. The adjustable unit can be set in 100moa increments, or 50moa, or 10mil - settings are open for 8-points. Extreme long range requires a Delta at some point to look around your barrel.
The prism unit is capable of up to 80mil of elevation, though at that point as noted, the barrel will be seen. It is smaller and lighter (lightest version is 6oz) than the Charlie's. It cannot be adjusted vs all of the Charlies can be adjusted by the user with tools and a tall target.
One advantage of the prism unit is that it can be "flipped"- turned upside down to subtract the actual set value.
Why? Glad you asked.
Put your scope on a 100moa rail and you have a 1000yd zero in most cases (example). You put a 100moa prism on upside down and you now have a 100 yd zero. Run the scope through its full elevation (100moa in this example)- pull the Bravo and reset your scope to 0. Now run the scope again through its 100moa of travel. Now add the prism upright and re-zero the scope. Run the scope now a third time through its 100moa travel. With this you have 300moa of travel in one scope.

Fascinating! 😊 Thanks for the explain. 👍🏼

I can see one of those Charlies or prisms in my medium-distant future — when the extreme long range bug has bored itself so deeply into my flesh that nothing will provide relieve from the o-it-hurts-so-good — except taking another dive down the equipment rabbit hole.
About 5 more levels down.
Is there ever an end to it? Has anybody ever reached rock bottom (and lived to tell, or stayed married)?

Matthias

Fascinating! 😊 Thanks for the explain. 👍🏼

I can see one of those Charlies or prisms in my medium-distant future — when the extreme long range bug has bored itself so deeply into my flesh that nothing will provide relieve from the o-it-hurts-so-good — except taking another dive down the equipment rabbit hole.
About 5 more levels down.
Is there ever an end to it? Has anybody ever reached rock bottom (and lived to tell, or stayed married)?

Matthias
Ask any guy that is into "hobby's"- guns, cars, boats etc... that's why the secret cc exists. I promise you your vendor/gunsmith is well aware of this🤣 and is in full cooperation with most of their guys/clients.

Recent Posts