What Scopes are under $1000, under 12", under 16y parallax, and over 13x magnification?

JungleShooter

Am I hunting for a unicorn? Maybe. And yet I have hope that maybe you have seen it galloping in the woods somewhere....

❓ What variable scopes are:
▪ under $1000,
▪ under 12" (13"?),
▪ under 16y parallax, and
▪ over 13x magnification?

Just so you don't waste your time — all 4 requirements are non-negotiables.
Because I have found scopes that fulfill 3 of the 4 just fine — but they aren't what I need for my shooting scenarios.

Like the USO TS-12X 3-12x44, or the Athlon Helos BTR Gen. 2 2-12x42:
They check all 3 boxes, except they just go up to 12x — and I'll need a little more than than (14x, 16x, 20x).

Here are some scopes that lack 1 of the 4 boxes:
• The NX8 2.5-20x50 is all of it's 12" wonderful, but twice my budget.

• Riton 7 Conquer 3-18x50 is 1.6" too long, and $700 over budget.

• Trijicon Tenmile 4-24x50 is 2.5" too long, not going to work.

• Leopolds don't have the minimum 15y parallax I need.

• Burris Xtreme Tactical 4-20x50 has 50y parallax (and is 1.9" too long).

• Crimson Trace 3 Series 4-20x50 is 4" too long.

• The S&B PMII 3-20x50 Ultra Short is a work of art, but the sticker price would end me up in a divorce court....

Thanks for any hints you can give me to find my unicorn. 😊

Matthias

So close!! 😊 And yet so far....

Thanks, that looked really exciting!
But a 25y parallax is a deal breaker, I need 15y and below.

Matthias 👍🏼

If the target is 15 yards or closer I'd consider using a handgun or looking down the barrel to make the shot.

Yupp, Joe, certainly an option. And I do actually use a handgun in a different shooting scenario! 😄

This scope though is for a really short bullpup with a scopecam, "back-packable," hitting on small varmint. 👍🏼

Matthias

We sure do go down a rabbit hole sometimes and create scenarios that we need a special firearm or optic for. The want outweighs the need and I could get a away with my old marlin 22 mag, my pump 12 gauge, and Remington model 700 270 which I've used since I was 12 and cover 99% of any hunting situation that might arise!

Why do you need a 15 yard parallax? I've never heard of anyone adjusting parallax under about 100 yards...even then it's not needed.

brcfo,

you are right! 😊

And my search for my scope unicorn — and your comment — have revealed a couple of curious GAPs in the scope market:

(1) SHORT scopes are rare (variable scopes that go to at least 12x, and much rarer with more then 12x) ➔ the short-scope GAP.

(2) The short scopes that are available are either in the budget category — or in the multiple-thousand-$ category. ➔ A GAP in the middle ground....

Matthias

brcfo,

you are right! 😊

And my search for my scope unicorn — and your comment — have revealed a couple of curious GAPs in the scope market:

(1) SHORT scopes are rare (variable scopes that go to at least 12x, and much rarer with more then 12x) ➔ the short-scope GAP.

(2) The short scopes that are available are either in the budget category — or in the multiple-thousand-$ category. ➔ A GAP in the middle ground....

Matthias
I am no design engineer, but my understanding is that it is harder to make a compact scope and have it perform as well as a full sized scope. The time, engineering, and glass to do so drive up the price so you are stuck with the higher prices for more premium scopes or you are forced to settle for garbage where everything else was compromised. I would imagine the costs associated with erector power choice and just straight up tradition to be competing factors as well. I ran into a similar problem which trying to determine what I wanted on my AR10 and I still haven't decided on anything. There definitely a gap as you say. Not trying to sound negative, because it certainly seems like you know what you have gotten yourself into, but if the spec/feature requirements are non negotiable, then the only thing left to do is play with the budget. Used market or demo optics might be an avenue to getting into something you might otherwise have felt was out of your price range.

I don't think what your looking for exists. With the 15 yard parallax being a necessity it's going to limit your options. If you can live with 14" the Bushnell match pro checks all your boxes I think.

I think if you got what your looking for it would look great on the spec sheet then once you got behind it you would hate it. A 12" scope, under 1k, over 13x and 15 yard parallax that preforms well is probably a very tough scope for a manufacture to pull off.

This sounds like an impossible task...lol.

I am going to sound like a shill, but the Arken SH4 gen ii has all the features minus parallax which only goes down to 25. There is the EOtech vudu 5-25 but that goes for $1800 new and even on the used market goes for $1300.