What scope do I put on my first custom rifle??

jayjay24

I'm currently building my first custom rifle, a 300 Win Mag, that will be basically a custom Remington Sendero type rifle but just a bit lighter. It will have a Rifleman stock from Precision Stock Works. It will have 10 MOA rail mount from Near Mfg. and medium Seekins Precision clamp rings. I'm torn on what scope to put on it. My friends and others have suggested I put the Zeiss Diavari Victory FL 4-16x50 with Rapid Z 800 reticle on it. I've also looked at the Leupold VX-6 3-18x50 with the Boone & Crockett reticle and the Nikon Monarch 7 4-16x50 with side adjustment for and XR turrets. I know there's a big gap in price between the Zeiss and Nikon/Leupold, I'm just looking for other suggestions or comments you guys might have. Thanks!

Don't ya just love it when friends make recommendations on how to spend your money? As you indicated, there's probably about 600% difference in the range of scopes you listed. If I interpret your llist of scopes correctly, you're choices are below the cost level of the Zeiss Diavari Victory FL 4-16x50 with Rapid Z 800.
If it's a choce between the Leupold and the Nikon, I'd recommend the Leupold. If your pockets are deep enough to consider the Zeiss Diavari then I'd suggest you compare apples with apples and shop in the Nightforce, Schmidt/Bender, Steiner categories.

Aight lemme rephrase that question a little bit. On the Zeiss level (monetarily speaking) what scope would you recommend? And on the Nikon/Leupold level, what scope would you recommend? I haven't decided against spending some higher coin to get the best option. I'm certainly not gonna build a fantastic rifle and put a $50 scope on it. Haha...I'm looking for a scope that can do both, if there is one, that can I use in long range hunting scenarios and go to my buddy's range and shoot 600-800 yards and have some fun.

Not sure if you've looked at the NightForce ATACR 4-16x. I think with its ED glass and features in a smaller package.....might be worth consideration. Been reading very positive reports about the ATACR image quality.....not that the Zeiss wouldn't have top notch.....just an alternative.

Wayne

Last edited:
Depends on primary use. is it going to be more for long range shooting or an all around hunting rifle. If it is for long range shooting, get something such as NF with high magnification and dependable/repeatable turret adjustment. For hunting? I would go for Swarovski.

I've definitely looked at that one for sure. If I were to get the NXS I would probably get the 3.5-15x50 with MOAR reticle. 5.5 might be a little too high for these GA whitetails, but how often do you shoot a deer at 3 or 4 power is what a buddy told me the other day. There's a ton to think about.

I agree that, sometimes, too much power can get in the way. But unless you're hunting in Manzanita or Lodge Pole Pines I don't think 5.5 should be too much of a problem. As for the higher power, just because you have it doesn't mean you're forced to use it. It's' kinda like that 440 horse power Corvette engine. You can't use it to its full capability on Main Street but when the opportunity presents itself it's sure nice to have it available.

FearNoWind said it best. I love my corvette even thou it is not perfect. I would not pay more for the G7. Jay as your eyes age you will come to like the higher magnification.

I went over to Cabelas today and looked some glass. Might have decided on the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 with MOAR reticle, but there were others I liked as well.

I'm currently building my first custom rifle, a 300 Win Mag, that will be basically a custom Remington Sendero type rifle but just a bit lighter. It will have a Rifleman stock from Precision Stock Works. It will have 10 MOA rail mount from Near Mfg. and medium Seekins Precision clamp rings. I'm torn on what scope to put on it. My friends and others have suggested I put the Zeiss Diavari Victory FL 4-16x50 with Rapid Z 800 reticle on it. I've also looked at the Leupold VX-6 3-18x50 with the Boone & Crockett reticle and the Nikon Monarch 7 4-16x50 with side adjustment for and XR turrets. I know there's a big gap in price between the Zeiss and Nikon/Leupold, I'm just looking for other suggestions or comments you guys might have. Thanks!

Zeiss Conquest...either 4.5-14...or 6.5-20 depending on what you are going to do. Im installing a 6.4-20 on my own 300 Win Mag.

The Zeiss lineup is nothing short of terrific and the dollar value of them nowadays is something else.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.