what scope base is needed?

midwesthunter

I'm having a 338 RUM built on a 700 action. My question is I plan on running a nightforce scope, or new HD vortex as I can get a deal on them just not sure what that is yet. Anyways, do I really need base and rings that will cost several hundred dollars like nightforce's one piece? Also do I need a 20 MOA base to shoot to a 1000, maybe little farther? Plan on shooting 250 grain nosler acubonds around 3100 fps +/- Also if I do go with the nightforce base set up do they use bigger screws into the action?

I used the EGW 20 moa base and Burris Signature Z 30 mm rings on my 338 Ultra mag. I redrilled the receiver and base for 8-36 screws just to be on the heavy duty side.
DSCN1806.jpg

I have put over a 100 rounds thru it without any problems. The base fit really well, it didn't have any wobble to it and I didn't have to use the screws to pull it down.
Tarey

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.