what scale should i buy

timmyatnop

Hi everone. Iam trying to decide what scale to buy for my bench.. i thought i was covered till i read a few review and i think i wana get more precious about my powder weights. Ok heres what ive got and been using. I started years a go with a lee balance beam. Got rid of it after a few years. Purchased. A rcbs 750 .worked great for years for just loading hunting rounds my shots back then may have been 300 yards.. years ago it was changing its zero if i sat a 50 gram weight carefully down it would say 52 or 53 or 49. I bought a small dillion scale ten years ago. Like it but its only accurate to to two tenths of a grain. Then two years ago bought a hornady lock and load i like how it meters the powder. So i would put in 92 grains h 1000 and it would show 92.5 and flash. And then say it was 92. So i would take it off the hornady and dump it on my dillion and it would be 92 grains to 92.5 grains. According to the dillion. Now i wana use my hornady and dump that charge onto a scale i knows is accurate a least to a tenth grain. And adjust from there. Foes anyone have any experience with a scale that is accurate to one tenth, that is know for sure not just because the box says its that accurate. All reloading is gun)done on a room with no fan or windows open. I would like not to spend more than 250 dollars also. This raising a family cuts onto my fun money but . I would not change my life style for anything. Thanks for the replies.

For many years I have used an RCBS 304 balance beam scale. They were made by Ohaus as the Dial-O-Grain and branded by RCBS as the model 304. Accurate to .1 grain and maybe a bit more depending your judgement of the dial setting. I've used others and digitals but this is the one I use the most and trust the most. No longer available from RCBS, but may find one on eBay or some gun auctions.

Best Regards.....Eagle Six

Tanita electonic scale is around $200 or so and will weigh to .05 gr. It is used to weigh diamonds so should be good enough for powder.

ive got a pact scale dispensor combo and a lyman scale/dispensor and both work well. I probably like using the pact a bit better but the lyman is a bit faster. Both scales have been a 100 percent reilable.

I used an Ohaus 10-10 for many years. It needed lots of attention to the blades and anvil. I bought a $40 Frankfort Arsenal electronic and it never would settle down. I had a Lyman Accuscale that was replaced by Lyman following the troubles I had with it. I gave it to someone I didn't like. I am currently pleased with the Sartorius Acculab. It reads to .02 grains or .001 grams. Sinclair has it Powder Scales | Powder Handling at Sinclair Inc
I have bought a used scientific scale that also is reliable and repeatable to .0001 gram. I use it to sort primers and bullets.

Buy the most expensive scale you can and you will spend less on scales. Plus you will load better ammunition. Spend more on your scale than on your press.

I've used the same RCBS 5-05 for forty years and that includes lots of 6PPC benchrest shooting and have never had a single problem and at the time that scales was about $40 .. I believe they still make it and would recommend it to anyone for rifle shooting.

I've been using the Hornady Auto Charge Dispenser for a few months now and I am very happy with it.I've reweighed the charges and every time they were right on the money.Working much better than the RCBS 750 scale that I had been using.I watched some reviews on YouTube and that sold me on the unit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32cAE94ceJc&feature=related]Hornady Auto Charge Review (Part 1) - YouTube[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.