what ring height for Rem 700 clone magnum contour barrel and 50mm bell?

Hopefully this helps clear it up for the OP. Here's a 700 with a heavier profile Shilen Barrel, 20 MOA rail and low Seekins Precision rings. Seekins makes the Vortex PMR rings and are apex's the same. PST Gen 2 5-25x50. If I had a BULL Barrel it would still clear with no issues. Barrel as pictured is .900 just below the scope Bell. There's a good 1/4"-1/2" of clearance. The rail elevates the rings. I also have this setup on my CA Ridgeline with similar clearance and that has even a beefier CF barrel.

View attachment 214208
As said low seems to be a relative term as this set up looks to be well over 2" above the bore centerline.

As said low seems to be a relative term as this set up looks to be well over 2" above the bore centerline.
It's right at 1 7/8". There is also a extra low ring by Seekins and Vortex PMR which lowers about another 1/8" to 3/16" but when you run a pic rail your chances of getting lower to centerline are tough. Too low and then you have issues getting scope centered to your eye for full field of view. This works perfect for me with this buttstock and my Ammo pad cheek rest, and it shoots bugholes. Great long range shooter also, 300WSM and have shot with excellent result out to 800 meters.

It's right at 1 7/8". There is also a extra low ring by Seekins and Vortex PMR which lowers about another 1/8" to 3/16" but when you run a pic rail your chances of getting lower to centerline are tough. Too low and then you have issues getting scope centered to your eye for full field of view. This works perfect for me with this buttstock and my Ammo pad cheek rest, and it shoots bugholes. Great long range shooter also, 300WSM and have shot with excellent result out to 800 meters.
That is very close to what I strive for on my set ups.

You need to buy stuff in the right order. You have the rifle, now you need to get the scope. There are many variables that determine which height rings to buy in addition to outside objective diameter. Even if you could measure everything you still won't know for sure because as the scope moves back in the rings clearance is reduced. And without having the scope you can't be sure how far forward or rearward to mount it.

So get the scope, then you can check what eye relief works for you. Then lay the rifle down and position the scope alongside, now you can see what ring and base height you will need for clearance. Remember everyone's "low" rings are not the same height, and everyone's bases are not the same height. And you need to leave a bit of space for lens caps unless your scope accepts a screw in sunshade, which will push out the objective lens cap a little to where the barrel is a little thinner.

Good luck!

The combination of the last two posts is where your answer lies. Inevitably you will have to measure something, but please forgive me for not understanding that you didn't already have the scope. That is the next piece of the puzzle, the rest will fall into place rather easily after that.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.