What Rifle would U Get?

Dust270WSM

I am going to buy a new deer rifle and was wanting ya'lls opinion on what to get. I have a Sako A-7 in Stainless steel 270WSM I plan on selling or trading off because its just to light of a rifle.

"Yes my Sako is for Sale!!!" Less than a year old and approx. 75 rounds threw it. AWESOME shooter!!! Will shoot a ragged hole 5 shot group at 100 yards. Thats the kinda grouping I will want for my new rifle. And yes I reload.

Anyways I want a heavier rifle. I am looking at the Tikka T-3's varmit style in 7mm Mag. That is the caliber i plan on getting. Also looking at Remingtons with bull barrels. Love the Savages but hate the floppy bolts. Also like the Howas but don't make it in the caliber I am interested in.

So what is ya'lls favorite rifle or what would you recommend me to get?

Anyways I want a heavier rifle. I am looking at the Tikka T-3's varmit style in 7mm Mag. That is the caliber i plan on getting. Also looking at Remingtons with bull barrels. Love the Savages but hate the floppy bolts. Also like the Howas but don't make it in the caliber I am interested in.

Here is a Howa 7mm Rem Mag, is that what you were looking for?

I like my Howa 30-06 so far, (am still testing it.)

What's the terrain you hunt in ? Plains? Fields? Woods? Mountians?
What are your shooting locations? Tree stand? Stalking? Hill to hill?
What shooting style? Offhand? Prone with sling? Bipod or bags?
What range do you expect to shoot? Typical and maximum?
Do you use a range finder?
Is your location windy?
How good are you at estimating wind deflection?
How much weight are you comfortable carrying while hunting?
Have you considered meat damage?
What are your ethics in regard to insuring clean kills?
How much do you want to spend on the rifle and accessories?

All of those need to go into your decision
A 7mm Rem Mag is capable of making longer range kills than a 270, but that depends on the shooter's skill too. A 270 allows "point and shoot" hunting to 200 yards in most conditions but that doesn't work beyond 400 yards with any rifle.

What do I choose for shooting deer? A Sony digital camera. The deer in my area are small and come to my yard for water. I have no reason to kill them.
prancer.jpg

Geez it's a simple question. These answers are rediculous. "I have a camera I shoot them with" haha dumb. It's a easy ? What rifle do u like or rec. I give all the info u should need.

Last edited:
Geez it's a simple question. These answers are rediculous. "I have a camera I shoot them with" haha dumb. It's a easy ? What rifle do u like or rec. I give all the info u should need.

I PM'd this person about a possible trade. He/she was apparently insulted and replied calling me "crazY". Also seems to have a little over inflated view of his rifle's worth.

Cant for the life of me understand why some people are rude??? Why call someone "crazy" when a simple yes or no would do?

Oh well :rolleyes:

I have been looking at the tikka T-3 varmint style in .260rem or 6.5x55 as a range gun to practic with.

I think that gun in 7mmRem would be a great LRH Gun.

The tikka is nice, a buddy of mine has one in a 270 WSM and I really like how it functioned. I'm particular to the Savages my self, I've heard the new LR hunter maybe in a 7mm also, there's always the Sendero.
There have been guys playing with the 169.5 Wildcat in the 270 WSM and it will out run the 7mm without pushing it, I can run mine with 140's right with a 7mm shooting 168 Berger clean out to 850 then the 7mm is only marginally better
Rebarrel your Tikka to a 7mm WSM!!lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.