What Rifle Stock?

adam32

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I didn't really know where to put it.

I have a .243 AI getting built and I need to decide what stock to put on it. I have narrowed it down to a few, please give me your input:

- Christensen Arms carbon fiber classic style
- McMillan Remington Varmint
- McMillan A3 (not sure how it would be to carry...)
- MPI Tactical (not sure how it'd be to carry either...)
- Manners MCS-T2 (same as above...)
- Manners MCS-T
- Manners MCS-UL
- Others?

Right now I'm leaning towards either the Christensen or the MCS-UL, because I like the look of carbon fiber.

It will be a deer/varmint rifle. Mostly varmints and some deer. I always try to get to a prone position before shooting, but I do shoot off-hand sometimes too.

I have a stock question?

I'm not trying to high jack your thread, but I have noiced that some of the stocks used on some or theguns have odd shaped pistol grips...they remind me of a thumb hole design without the "over the thumb section". Is that what they are after?

I have one thumb hole stock and it is the most comfortable stock I have. I'm brand new to this site and know little to nothing about long range shooting...all I know is I like it. I plan to build a LRR in near future and was thinking about putting a thumb hole stock on it.

I got to fondle a Manners the other day, and I have to say that is one fabulous stock. Not cheap! But I would stack it up against any other stock made. Jim R

I'm not trying to high jack your thread, but I have noiced that some of the stocks used on some or theguns have odd shaped pistol grips...they remind me of a thumb hole design without the "over the thumb section". Is that what they are after?

I have one thumb hole stock and it is the most comfortable stock I have. I'm brand new to this site and know little to nothing about long range shooting...all I know is I like it. I plan to build a LRR in near future and was thinking about putting a thumb hole stock on it.

Like the Mcmillan A2,A3,A4, and A5?'s I would like some opinions about those too...

I think the Rem varmint is an awesome all around stock for various positions. I had an A2 at one point, great for prone, alright for offhand. The Rem varmint is my pick for "general" use.

1+ on the Remington varmint as all around LR stock. I'm thinking about a Manners MCS-T for the project I'm on now. Looks alot like a cross between a rem. varmint and a M40 stock.

I have dealt with both the manners and mcmillan stocks and I have to say that the mcmillans I have dealt with have a better fit and finish than the manners I ordered did. Having dealt with manners I will say that he is a hell of a guy to work with and he will treat you very well. Maybe mine was a fluke on the fit and finish but I didnt find it up to par on what I like. But like I said, mr. Manners is a hell of a guy to work with.

The most critical thing about a stock is that it fits you.

If you haven't already done so, try to get some time at least holding, if not shooting, a variety of different stocks. Just because something looks cool, doesn't mean that it's going to work out well for you.

A couple of things may be important to you:

comb height - very important to achieving a solid cheek weld
length of pull
thickness of the forearm
angle of the grip

All these things and more contribute to how well your rifle fits you, and feels. From what you've written, I'd say you're looking for a general purpose stock, which will be useful in a variety of different field positions. That sort of thing tends to favor the more general-purpose stocks, rather than the specialized stocks which may be more suitable for prone or bench use only.

BTW - don't discount the value of a stock which is handy in the sitting or kneeling positions. I've taken a fair amount of game from sitting - much more so than from prone. Where I hunt prone generally isn't very useful, too much grass and brush in the way down low.

Long a favorite for general use with a precision rifle is McMillan's M40A1 stock. A somewhat modified version of it, the M40A1-3 was introduced in recent years and is a big favorite of mine. It has a slightly higher comb, and a thicker fore end with a bit of a taper to it. Very nice. Their A3 stock is one of the easiest to use from a variety of positions and is very popular with LE snipers who may have to shoot from standing, sitting/kneeling or prone. Most people find it very comfortable.

One really great thing about McMillan is that you can order the stock your way. Your length of pull. Your choice of fill weight. An adjustable cheekpiece if you want. Regular sling swivels or flush cups. How many and where? Custom colors. Perhaps a fore-end rail if desired. Another great thing about McMillan is that the doggone stocks are tough. Very tough.

Again, it's how the stock fits you that's important. What I like in the fit of a stock may not work at all for you. People are built different. Two of my LR shooting buddies are built completely different, one guy is 6-05 or more and probably close to 300 pounds. Our friend is maybe 5-06. Maybe. They do NOT favor the same stocks...

Where to go to sample some different stocks? I'd highly recommend going to a highpower match where guys are using bolt action match rifles. Their rifles have to be useful in prone, sitting and standing. You'll likely find a lot of different stock configurations there. Also, I've heard from a few people that McMillan will send you a stock to try - if you're really nice to them. A major rifle-builder may have a few different stocks sitting around too. Worth asking.

One thing to remember about the Remington factory stock - is that it is mas produced to feel reasonably good to a lot of different people. I have one, the HS Precision version with the aluminum bedding block. It's okay - but the LOP was too short for me and the comb way too low. Both of those things can be changed, at a cost. I simply replaced that stock with a McMillan and have been happy ever since.

My favorite stock is a walnut stock turned by Jim Cloward and built in the old Dunlap style. I use it for both across-the-course competition and prone matches. Have also used that rifle for some varmint shooting. That stock feels different from anything else I've used, but works really well for me.

Good luck with your project! Regards, Guy

Thanks Guy M. I'm trying to find a place to try them out, but I kinda live in the sticks so I'm having trouble finding a place, and F-class isn't going right now. I also e-mailed my smith thats building the rifle and asked him too. Hopefully I'll get it figured out. I'm leaning towards the Manners MCS-T, if I can get the carbon fiber finish on it...

Well I ordered the Manners MCS-T today. It will be 100% carbon fiber with a glossy finish, it should look pretty awesome!! It will be ready in about 2 1/2 months.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.