What range finding binos is everyone liking?

I have the vortex fury 5K ones, I have successfully glassed object (not animals) out to 4000+ yards, they claim 5K range on objects :

5 - 5,000 yds (reflective)
5 - 1,600 yds (deer)

they are about 1100, and work really well and have a lifetime warranty..

I got a pair of Vortex Fury HD 5000 Gen II 10x42's last season and was very happy with them. Temps ranged from 60s to single digits with freezing rain and snow and they didn't fog up and handled the cold and wet with no problems. They were adequate in low light (not as good as some binos I've had in the past, but plenty good for glassing within legal hours) and were crisp across the full view. I tested them against my Leupold range finder out to 1500 yards and they were spot on. Ended up selling the range finder and plan to use these from here on out... they do everything I need for the way I hunt (some spot and stalk, mostly still hunt) and not fumbling around and switching back and forth between binos and range finder... is a game changer.

For low light, the Zeiss RF in the 10x54's are hard to beat. Best glass, not to much power for low light. Pick up an Outdoorsman tripod adapter for them, and you're set. They're all I use for long range glassing for elk in CO. If I need to spot, I'll just use my rifle scope.
I agree with the Zeiss glass being exceptional. I can't see the gridding of the readout, even when looking for it. I don't think they are quite as good edge to edge or as much contrast as my NL pure, but a close second. The readout seems to come slightly quicker than the Sig and seems to be less inclined to hit the wrong things (ie brush and twigs), but more affected by fog and inclement weather than the Sig. I haven't played with the settings for the Zeiss, only been using factory settings, that might help. The Sig you have to push to 'wake up' and the Zeiss ranges on the first push, still getting used to it, but not really a big deal.

Range finder binoculars are nice. I have used them for the last 5 years. I started out with the swaro first generation el range and used them for year. I hunt about 3-6 weeks a year plus off season scouting. They are very nice but I constantly dealt with eye fatigue after long hours of glassing even after adjusting them several times. Nothing wrong with Swarovski. It was probably something to do with my eyes. I sold them and switched to Leica geovid hd-r. I have zero eye fatigue and they have been great. I think you can have 5 people and each may like a different bino based on their eyes. I've looked through my friends vortex range finder binos and wasn't really impressed.
That all being said, I looked through a 12x nl pure this last year and was blown away. In my opinion, the best options today are el range, geovid, or pic a nice bino without a range finder and add a 2800.com or sig kilo 8k. I do see a trend toward optics that use applied ballistics. My 2 cents

Last edited:
EL range and it's ballistics is on plain with my kilo 2400. SIG has great RF binos but optically they don't compare with the ELs.

I agree with the Zeiss glass being exceptional. I can't see the gridding of the readout, even when looking for it. I don't think they are quite as good edge to edge or as much contrast as my NL pure, but a close second.

The Zeiss are not as good edge to edge as my 8x32 ELs either. Having the RF negates that little negative for me, though.

You won't go wrong with any of the big 3 Swaro EL, Leica Geovid, or Zeiss. I own the Geovids. They are probably 6-7 years old now. At the time the EL and Geovid were the only real options. One of my hunting buddies had the ELs at the time. Both were priced within a couple hundred of each other. After much debate and many trips to stores with both I chose the Geovids over the ELs. The rangefinder was better hands down. For my eyes the Leicas glass was better at that time. Just a year ago my brother went with the Zeiss because at that time he felt the Zeiss had the best glass and features. With these 3 all priced similarly look at the features to determine what will work best for the way you want to use them. All 3 have great glass. I was fortunate enough to find both the Leica and Swaro at two different stores during my work travel that allowed me to take them outside to compare in different light and background. I chose the Leica at the time. All 3 have made improvements recently and I honestly couldn't tell you which way I would now without doing more research on the current features.
I agree 100%. I have 5 year old Leica Geovids and absolutely love them. But, as was stated above, you can't go wrong with any of the big 3. Honestly, you have to look through all of them to really see which ones you prefer.

I'd look at the Leica Geovid pro too. They just announced them. They look great

Missed that announcement. The size and ABS solution looks impressive and presumably the GPS will help guide you to the location of where you last ranged an animal. Would like to see a 10x42 version.

Free plug for one of our sponsors:

• The first premium laser rangefinder binocular with 32mm objective lenses. – Approximately 2/3 the size of other LRF binos
  • The first premium laser rangefinder to feature on-board Applied Ballistics solutions for elevation AND wind.
  • The first premium premium laser rangefinder to feature GPS mapping via Garmin GPS products AND BaseMaps

I love my Leica Geovid 3200.com, Great glass, a lot of wireless features for your phone, and a kestrel, which transmits data to the Binos for your shooting solutions. It has a true 3200-yard range on non-reflective targets. Cost a little over 3K.