What range finding binos is everyone liking?

Leica anything with the red dot is good to go. My Leica HB3000 has been excellent with no hiccups. I can say the same for my brothers Leica 3200.com

The new Leica 32mm Geovid is sweet! I saw on at the Leica booth at SCI. AB on board, a mapping feature and much lighter and smaller than the 42mm model and less $$$. Leica glass is beyond compare and with the new 10 Year No Fault warranty it's a winner in my book . DD62

I have the new Swaro's with the tracking function. I have owned both previous versions of these and can say without hesitation that these have the best glass of any that I've owned. It's the coatings. They updated to the high end coatings used on the other top tier binos they sell (finally). As far as the tracking function, I can't comment on that, haven't used it. Probably never will (LOL)
My second pick would be the new Zeiss. To my eyes, the Zeiss actually provided better contrast than the previous Swaro's did.
There are other great options out there, buy the best your budget will allow.

Another endorsement for the SIG KILO3000 BDX. They are well within the price range of most of us poor folks, especially when considering they are a 2 for 1 long range hunting necessity. For the price, I couldn't find an equal.

I got a sig kilo that pairs to my phone are garmin foxtrot. I have not used them much since the range closed down. When I purchased 3 years ago there was not much in that market at that price point. It has served me well. It's clear enough , I used for hunting but have not need for more tha 200 yards. On steel it has been spot on to 1100 yards. The longest range I had avaible. I got sidled for a little bit , will be jumping back in retailing gear. Everything from a 280ai capable of 1/4?moa at a 1000 to 458 socom sub sonic .

Photo is a 3 shot group at 1120 , setting up a new rifle running a tall target , using the foxtrot an pro and sig kilo binoculars., roughly 35 shots . 280 aI 180 hornady over rl 26 just under 3000 fps defiance devient action, 30" bartlien barrel 8.5 twist. Top rifle

Attachments

• 7B385172-8132-4A5D-B326-E65DD63B0595.jpeg
    7B385172-8132-4A5D-B326-E65DD63B0595.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
  • 47214A22-5C55-4D71-953D-E33B47D3923A.jpeg
    47214A22-5C55-4D71-953D-E33B47D3923A.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 61
  • A87AE6B2-00F1-4981-A89B-C0EE653F1A2F.jpeg
    A87AE6B2-00F1-4981-A89B-C0EE653F1A2F.jpeg
    594.3 KB · Views: 78
I'm torn on what to do.
  • Hunting using Basemap: I love the basemap feature some of these RF binos are offering (Sig, new Leicas, ____) for locating downed game across a valley, wanting to get to a specific spot you can see but your mapping skills aren't the best, etc. Now, just press the button and establish a gps point of where to find the animal, where to start looking for blood, etc.
  • NRL Hunter: I love the idea of using a single RF bino instead of switching between bino and my Sig Kilo 2400ABS for playing the NRL Hunter find-range-solution-shoot type of games. Refinding the objects with the handheld rangefinder takes more time. (plus the solver takes a sec to pop up the firing solution)
  • Other Hunting thoughts with contrasting views:
    • I love my 18x binos for doing my long-range glassing and spotting game. Tough to find 18x and a rangefinder.
    • I also like the small form-factor of a hand-held RF like my Sig Kilo to accompany my 18x binos
    • I don't like the idea of hunting and now I'm carrying two binoculars (one for spotting, one for ranging)
    • I've heard the Sig 10k has basemaps but the glass isn't the best ($2200)
    • Leica's Geovid Pro 10 x 32 ($2900) looks to be fantastic glass and has basemaps, too, but looks like they went w/ 32mm objectives to keep the bino as small as possible.

I tried the Sig Kilo 3k next to the Vortex Fury 5k AB. I felt the Vortex had better glass but not by much. I later bought the Zeiss Victory RF. The glass is night and day different. The Zeiss returns almost identical dope instantaneously. The Vortex takes a bit to return the dope. Paired to the Kestrel or the Tactix, though, it provides immediate dope on those devices.

I use the Zeiss for hunting and the Vortex for competition. You can't beat the warranty for when, not if, the wind blows over the tripod and they hit the ground at a high rate of speed.
Zeiss RF 10x42 are incredible and fast and accurate with ballistic app.

I will strongly encourage the use of any combo that pairs with AB pro and a device like a kestrel or garmin foxtrot. . Do the work ! Work up a load with a low sd and es, run a tall target, use the target to verify your scope is intact dialing vertical and correctly. Put in a correction if it is off even slightly. Set your scope with the tall target then set your bubble when the scope is plum according to the plum lines you drew on the tall target. ( this is critical)

Remember junk in junk out. Do not worry what results another rangefinder comes up with or what a tape measure says.

What maters is what happens when you range a target, if your ballistic app provides a true Sol , you dial in data , break the shot . Impact occurs at poa. .

When I got my sig I found out that some of the ranges were 3 to 12 yards off in comparison to my readings. The solution my combo gave were on the money 90% of the time and close enough to be terminal the remainder

Please explain base maps feature in regards to the sig kilo. If not sig the other offerings.

Recent Posts