What psi and media for blasting actions?

Mram10us

Got my new blasting cabinet setup today and need to perfect the process of cleaning cerakoted actions to bare metal. I have 70 grit aluminum oxide right now @90psi and it seems to do a decent job. Thanks

I would think 70 would be a bit coarse. I bet cera-kote has a suggestion too
It worked but did leave a good coarse product to cerakote to. Cerakote gave me an answer, but I forgot cause it has been a while and they were closed last night by the time I thought about it :)

70 is too coarse...especially if you include aluminum such as scope rails, or fiberglass/composite stocks.
I've found that- for me- 120 is too fine.
Actually, it's perfect for the first handful of barreled actions. But after light use, it's broken down too much for me.
I settled on 100 grit as the best compromise.
Back off a bit on air and distance and it won't pit aluminum too deeply, and it can wear down a bit before it's too dusty to be useful.

I will be doing steel 99% of the time. No stocks. Maybe 1% aluminum. I am almost finished setting up this cabinet and only need a cup of media, so I will try both 100 and 120. Thanks gents

I bought a 5 gal pail of 120 AO that will last me a lifetime. I use it at 90 psi for steel and 40 psi for AL. I'm not sure I would use anything more aggressive. I find if my gun to surface angle isn't consistent along with dwell time, I can get a surface finish after cerekoting that isn't desirable. However, this might be a cerekoting application issue. The last one I did turned out great paying attention to the above.

Got the cabinet setup and running really well. Led lights and good vacuum are essential. Need to prfect the metering valve. Thanks for the pointers fellas. My new ao comes in today so I'll hit the rifles again to see the difference

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.