What Priming Tool?

Have used the Lee, RCBS, RCBS with upgrade from Holland's, and a couple others. Then I tried the 21st Century priming tool. Game, set , match. Stupid simple. Scary accurate. Each primer will have to be handled, but any potential problems with that are easily mitigated.

used RCBS primer tool on the press plus hand helds but the best is their bench primer tool. Works every time and does not allow upside downs that will give you heart burn. Also good feel as the primer is inserted.

I use the top of my Co-Ax press. It doesn't bother me to do them one at a time, since I generally never load more than 50 at a time (and that's just for load development). Once you get a rhythm going you can size one, than prime another in one full cycle. I use a K+M primer pocket uniformer on all my cases during brass prep, so the feel is the same.

I have been using the RCBS hand priming tool for about 20 years. I started out using the round tray but switched to the square tray as soon as it became available. The round tray with square primer boxes doesn't work out real well. No matter how careful you are, you tend to spill primers. The square tray remedies that issue. I find that I can feel the seating of the primers with this tool. I have never had any problems with it.

Anyone have a direct hands on comparison of the K&M vs 21st Century? I'm really leaning towards the K&M. I have a Dillon progressive for volume so this would be precision or low volume only. Using the Ultramag press right now.

I have used a RCBS bench priming tool for years. No problems except the handle does stick out beyond the bench. Be careful you can bend the bolt that attaches the handle if you get up and move around. I finely made a rule not to get up when priming without undoing the handle from the base first. Able to load the tube without handling the primers. Becareful when loading the tube with primers to get the primer in the correct direction. Also have a hand priming tool from RCBS too. Found it to be more work, but it works fine. The biggest thing is not to handle the primers with your fingers. I am going to look at some of the others that have been mention in the other posts.

I started with a standard lee hand primer & had a piece of plastic break on it so upgraded to the lee ergo prime at the advice of my one of my reloading mentors & haven't looked back since. As the name states the ergo-prime is designed with better ergonomics than the standard primer & is easy & efficient to use. I have had a couple of primers get deformed when pressing into the case but that was before I started using a ultrasonic cleaner to get cleaner primer pockets. Overall has been a great & affordable tool but I always wear safety glasses & mind where the cartridge is pointing when priming just to be on the safe side!

Hey all, I would like to ask everyone what priming tool/tools they're currently using. Also I'd appreciate it if you'd add past or current experiences with other priming tools. Please add your pros and cons as well. Thank you!

I've been using an old Lee hand priming tool for years and I really can't complain. This is the second one I've had and the first one had the casting crack. These are no longer made and I'm thinking of upgrading in the near future. I'm not going to go crazy and buy the Primal Rights bench seater, but pretty much everything else on the market I'm looking at.

The Frankford Arsenal Platinum hand priming tool is one on my list. I think it's cool that the primer depth can be controlled with it, but I'm not sure if I constantly want to be adjusting that for every caliber I load for. I've also been looking at the tools from Sinclair, 21st Century, and K&M. These all seem to have good reviews and everyone says they had really good feel when seating primers. Having good feel when priming is important to me, but having to single load each primer at a time doesn't sound ideal. The other hand priming tools from RCBS, Lyman, and Hornady kind of have mixed reviews and don't seem to be any better or worse than one another. I also have been looking at the RCBS bench mounted priming tool and think it's really cool as well. The only thing I don't like about the RCBS bench tool is having to waste the time to fill primer tubes. Its nice to be able to just dump X amount of primers into the tray and start seating. I look forward to hearing your experiences and opinions on the best priming tool and hopefully you guys can help me make up my mind haha. Thank you.
I use the new style Lee hand primer with the primer tray. It uses the Lee shell holders. It's probably on par with RCBS, Lyman and Hornady hand primers but If you are used to the older Lee tool you may like the new one.

Hey all, I would like to ask everyone what priming tool/tools they're currently using. Also I'd appreciate it if you'd add past or current experiences with other priming tools. Please add your pros and cons as well. Thank you!

I've been using an old Lee hand priming tool for years and I really can't complain. This is the second one I've had and the first one had the casting crack. These are no longer made and I'm thinking of upgrading in the near future. I'm not going to go crazy and buy the Primal Rights bench seater, but pretty much everything else on the market I'm looking at.

The Frankford Arsenal Platinum hand priming tool is one on my list. I think it's cool that the primer depth can be controlled with it, but I'm not sure if I constantly want to be adjusting that for every caliber I load for. I've also been looking at the tools from Sinclair, 21st Century, and K&M. These all seem to have good reviews and everyone says they had really good feel when seating primers. Having good feel when priming is important to me, but having to single load each primer at a time doesn't sound ideal. The other hand priming tools from RCBS, Lyman, and Hornady kind of have mixed reviews and don't seem to be any better or worse than one another. I also have been looking at the RCBS bench mounted priming tool and think it's really cool as well. The only thing I don't like about the RCBS bench tool is having to waste the time to fill primer tubes. Its nice to be able to just dump X amount of primers into the tray and start seating. I look forward to hearing your experiences and opinions on the best priming tool and hopefully you guys can help me make up my mind haha. Thank you.
Another user of RCBS bench tool. Gives very good feel, uses standard shell holders, uses same pick/feed tube as RCBS press mount primer (which I also have), can change from small to large primers in about 5 seconds if I go slow. I have a hand primer tool (Lee) which I cannot use. To many years beating up my shoulders, forearms and wrists. Only prime with the bench tool now. Yes the handle requires a user applied cushion.

I originally posted that the RCBS APS press mounted priming tool didn't work well for me.

After I posted that, it got me thinking that after trying it briefly a few years ago, I never tried to see what the problem with it was.

I went and dug it out, and stripped it completely down to component parts. I noticed that the priming rod had some buildup on it, like old oil. It was bought second-hand, so somebody dropped some oil in it. Gave everything a good clean, re-assembled, and primed 80 pieces without it glitching.

Looks like the buildup on the rod was making the spring sticky which prevented the primer punch retracting properly, causing the bind.

I've tried alot of tools on the market over the yrs. The 60 dollar k and m is the best value on a tool that will last forever. All solid steel parts. The Sinclair and 21st century are nicer versions of it but don't prime any better in my opinion. I use mine for all my BR ammo and if it didn't work I would use something else. It works great and most of my friends use one also after trying mine. My one buddy wanted to trade me his Sinclair for mine. He ended up buying his own. Sometimes the most expensive is just that. More expensive. Sure the tool I use is plain and simple. But that's a good thing. If you get the 21st century you will love it. If you get the 1/3 the price k and m you will love it. If you have bad hands or fingers get the bench mounted units. I have no problem endorsing the k and m.
Shep

I have the RCBS bench mounted priming tool and I really like it. I don't find loading the tube tedious at all.....only takes a couple of minutes and you're good to go. I've used hand-priming tools before I bought the RCBS bench tool and they were just 'okay'.

Agree 100%. After using the bench mount I'll never go back to hand priming. I love my RCBS.

I am using a Lee Auto Bench Prime, and like how it works. the feel and it give me positive results. So far see no reason to change work works for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.