What primers for 28 Nosler?

kai

What primers are you using on 28 Nosler?
I read somewhere that CCI BR2 were recommended.
I was planning on using a magnum primer.

You'll have to try two different ones. CCI 250 or federal 215. Way to much powder for a large rifle primer.

I personally use mostly 215's but 250's might be worth a shot whatever is the most accurate.

Sunday I tried BR2 vs GM215M.
The BR2 gave better ES, slightly better group and about 20 fps less velocity. Both with 89.1 gr of RL33 and 175 Elite Hunters.
When it is well below freezing I'll re-test.
Until then I'll continue to use GM215M , worked perfectly last season.

How much better was your ES?
What powder were you using?
I'll be using N570.

20180924_201425.jpg

Edit, I guess it was only 9 fps slower

I do not believe you can reliably develop a load for one primer and then just pop in another primer and get best results. If you what maximum accuracy for each primer you need to develop a specific load for each and most of these magnums we shoot have such short barrel life I am not willing to do that. Sure sometimes people get lucky and substitute one primer for another and have excellent results but I would say it is the exception not the rule. Pick your primer and stick with it. My second choice would be a 250 but I have never had a problem getting single digits SDs with 215Ms so I will stick with them until they won't work.

I have had just a primer tighten a group from 1" m.o.a to .5 m.o.a when I struggled to get anything else to work.
That being said 215 are my go to primer for magnum loads.

I have loaded for 9 different 28 Noslers now. Starting #10 next month. In every single one I have used CCI BR2. With phenominal results in both speeds, ES/SD, and accuracy. RL33, between 3080-3150fps using 195 Berger EOLs. From sub-freezing to 110°. Whoever says they are not enough for the 28 Nosler is incorrect. Ask Ryan Pierce (Piercision) and Eric Goss (Axisworks) what they recommend.

Federal 215 and CCI 250
Both have given excellent results, in two different rifles
Retumbo and H-1000 are the powders that I have been using. Have just recently used Bertram brass (CCI 250's) in a new GAP built 28 Nosler and it appears to initially be better than Nosler brass.

I would of never thought people would be using BR2 primers for RL33 or any slow burning dense powder. I would be curious how they hold up in cold weather. I do test primers once i have reached a point during load development that i am happy with. In my 28 Nosler with N570 Fed 215 worked best. 338 Edge and 7 Saum along with 30/28 Nosler all like CCI 250 better. Pretty easy to test. Last time i talked to Ryan Pierce he was using CCI 250's...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.