What primers are you using in 280AI?

Mark37082

So I am interested in members experience with primers in 280AI. At this point the common answer may be whatever you can find. I've got a brick of CCI BR2, Fed 215M, and several sleeves of other LR primers in Win, Rem, and CCI. My Fed 210M supply is not worth starting load development and finding a brick is near impossible. The BR2 would be the least problematic to use as the Fed 215M are slated for my magnum cartridges. Likely powders will be H4831sc, H4350, and H1000 depending on pill loaded.

Start with the primer you have the most of to get a base reading on accuracy and velocity. Find your max powder charge and seating depth. When you find your best accuracy start trying different primers to see if extreme velocity and group size improves. Each rifle is different in what it likes with each powder.

I use CCI BR2 with RL23
WLRM with H4831 or Federal 210's depending on which bullet is used.

Just goes to show that each load combo can be different.

I get it. There are really no shortcuts. I'm focusing on finding the right powder and bullet combinations at this point. I'm not a speed freak, but would like to find good accuracy in the upper nodes.

I have always gone the direction of magnum primers for over 60 gr of powder. I'm really not sure if this is a good base line to follow, but the 280ai is right around 60 gr in many loads. I guess it really is best to test and verify with actual results. I'm also really not sure if powder burn rate should factor into the equation. It would have an inverse relationship to bullet weight and burn rate in my mind. Faster powder burn rates for lighter bullets and more powder per load vs slower powder burn rates for heavier bullets but less powder per load. I'm over analyzing this, I think.