What press are you using?

I thought about putting the lock n load conversion for my supreme. How straight does the lnl make ammo. My friend has one and it looks like the dies float around a bit. Might make better alignment. Those that have a rcbs you can take the clip that holds the shell holder off and replace it with an o ring and get lots off float on your shell holders. My supreme has loaded over 10000 rounds and is still tight on the ram with zero play. I do clean the ram from time to time and use high pressure aircraft lube on it. Thought about putting a zerk on it.
Shep

How do you like the Summit as compared to conventional press? I debating between this and the rock chucker. I like that the summit will cam over. I read that the rock chucker doesn't?
I like the summit much better, it sits next to a rockchucker I used for about 20years. The rockchucker does depriming duty now and will forever probably. I LOVE the summit press cams over, that's part of straight concentric loads. Rockchucker can be adjusted for a little cam over but not full overcenter camming. I really don't notice any difference in moving the die down to the shellholder/case vs moving the shellholder/case up to the die, seems about the same. If your going to use the press sitting I would suggest one change.......buy the shorter handle. You may like the long handle it comes with but I didn't. You will learn a lot of good info on the press comparsion.

If I was doing it over again I would buy the summit again it preformed just like the great press shootout comparison predicted as far as runout and performance. I was bouncing between the co-ax - mec marksman - and summit from posts on here and information read and digested, when it came time to do it the co-ax was on indefinite backorder as it frequently is and there was no marksman to find as well. Now looking back I believe circumstance led me to buy the one I would love. I moved it back on my bench some because I didn't like the way the rockchucker hung over the side (I was always bumping it) that was also a nice feature.

Hope you pick a good one that you will like! Good Shooting :)

Mainly a T7 and a Rock Chucker collecting dust. Thought about switching to the Zero but that requires adjusting dies which not a big deal but when you have them dialed in. Also after watching several YouTube videos I don't like that the turret needs to be loosened to rotate between dies. I get the precision aspect and open to change if I had the ability to use but as of now I'm sticking with what I got.

I have a Rock Chucker that I bought 40 years ago, and a Dillon 550 that I got about a year after that. Those are my main ones. I also have a Lee that someone gave me, which I will probably pass to a young'un, if they show interest. I would love one of the Zero presses, so if any of y'all are giving those away, I will take one...:p

RCBS Summit........you will like it, big opening, enough movement to line up case and die, loads concentric ammo, grease fitting on ram, lets you cam dies over, primers go out bottom without fouling ram and moving parts, and it can be mounted at edge of bench or back from edge flat. Scored very well in the reloading press shootout evaluation. and a reasonable price :)
^^^^ second this. I also use a rockchuker as my dirty press for resizing. Summit press is awesome and affordable also. Love mine.

I watched the video review of the Area 419 and was frankly surprised to see that on the end of the down stroke, the entire press flexed forward. It looks in the video as if the designers missed the importance of lining everything up so that there is not a lot of torquing going on at the end of the action stroke. This is one of the nice features of the Summit press, and of others like the Bonanza -- they are in-line and there is no torque from the stroke of the handle. Go to You Tube and watch the review of several different presses. That made me a believer in in-line presses like the Bonanza and the Summit.

Full disclosure: I have used an RCBS Rockchucker for more than 50 years and continue to use it. I also acquired a Bonanza several years ago, and find myself using it more and more for depriming/resizing.

Started out with a CH 3 station over 50 years ago. Did yeoman service progressively loading hunting accuracy 257 and 300 Wby over the years. Adopted an RCBS Jr when my father passed away and used it for my 223/.556 reloading. Went to a Forster Co-Ax about 5 yrs ago and have never looked back. Now use it for everything. Highly recommended.

I'm using the Forster Co-ax press...the "floating"shell holder design combined with the "floating" die holder design greatly reduces the possibility of producing non concentric ammunition...almost impossible to force things out perfect concentric alignment...and it shows when checked on a concentricity gauge....a pricey press but it make superior ammunition especially when coupled Forster or precision Redding benchrest dies...
There is nothing out there that is better for making accuracy ammo...(Sinclair benchrest hand dies excluded but who does that anymore)

Last edited:
Rock Chucker or MEC. I bought the MEC. I is working really working out.

300 WSM, Forster FL die, neck turned WIN brass, Hornady LNL bushing, Hornady shell plate......careful setup.....nothing over 0.002" TIR on the RCBS Case Master.

I bought a 21st Century tool to confirm!

Seated bullets running under 0.005" TIR at the tip.

IME, this will get me under 0.5" at 100 yards for 3 shots....obviously tuning will dial that in a bit.