what power?

TTnewB

What are your opinions on powers. 6-24 or 4-16. I am looking to purchase two scopes. Both will be on rifles that are capable of long range, but living in Indiana I don't want to over power the scopes. The rifles they will be going on, 1 Remington 700 in .270 Win. the other, is AR-15 6.5 Grendel with a 24" bull barrel. I am really thinking about the Vortex Viper PST.

Everyone has a different idea of what is the appropriate power. What you need to do is decide on the primary use of the rifle a given scope will be on. For instance the 4-16 would be a better choice than the 6-24 if you spend a fair amount of time hunting elk or deer in the timber where shots down to 75 yards or so would be possible but yet cross canyon to a 1000 yards.

You would want the larger field of view that the 4 power would provide compared to the smaller of the 6 power. If the rifle is for target shooting or used in open country where the shots are way out there most of the time the 6-24 would be a better choice. When shooting targets the more power the better ....kinda.

My choice for a hunting scope is in the 3-15 or 4-16 power range.

All mine are "hunting" scopes but I will take a 6-24 over a 4-16 any day and at any range. All a matter of personal preference.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.