What power scope is ideal?

encoreguy

I am getting more interested in long range shooting and hunting. I love the idea of putting together the components (rifle, optic, loads, etc.) and putting in the time at the range to become proficient at longer range hunting / shooting. Most of my "local" long range hunting will be limited to coyotes. However I do get the opportunity to travel out west on occasion for big game hunting (Elk and pronghorn so far). My current set up is a Savage 110FP 300 win mag shooting 215 grain Bergers topped off with a Vortex PST 4-16 FFP EBR 1-moa scope. I am buying 2 additional scopes to set up some other guns. I just ordered a 4-16 Vortex SFP PST with EBR-1 moa and a Burris XTR II in 4-20 FFP with the moa reticle.

My question is this, should I have ordered the Burris XTR II in 5-25 instead? It is only $100 more. My thought pattern was since normally it can be hard to shoot at the higher end (24-25 power) due to mirage and low light clarity why go above 20 power. I like to have a lower power for when still hunting to have a wider field of view. Difference between 4 and 5 is not much though. On a FFP scope it is very hard to see the crosshairs at low power without illumination so I thought if the bottom was 4 maybe I could at least see the crosshairs at say 6 power. I do like higher magnification as I am working up loads and tweaking range cards.

What are your thoughts? I am second guessing myself. I can probably still change my order if I call
them on Monday morning. I could also change my Vortex PST order also. However I already have a 6-24 PST FFP with the EBR-2C MOA in the safe (possible prairie dog scope). I got really good deals on the Vortex and Burris.

Sounds like you know what you are doing. I have the PST 6X24 and yes it is a great prairie dog scope. The nice turrets are perfect when you are dialing constantly all day long. For long range big game I favor the Bushnell Elite 6500 with the 4.5X to 30X zoom. Aim small to hit small is the thought behind the 30X. I also have a VX6 3X to 18X to stick on shorter range rifles for heavy woods hunting and such. So it depends on the kind of country you are hunting. The 18X is just enough to see what you are doing when shooting paper at the 200 yard range. 24X is better and 30X better than that but 18X will work.

Maybe I'm just lame, but I'm not really into the hight power scopes. But my rigs are all dedicated hunting rifles.

For me, I do 90% of my hunting in the timber. So I need the low end more then the high. I use a 3.5x10 for my big game rig. A 4x12 on my coyote rifle (223 bolt action).

10X seems to do fine out across clear cuts, but i limit myself to around 600 yards.

For hunting I like a scope to go up to 18-20x. 16x is plenty for 90% of hunting situations but every once in awhile extra power comes in handy. You will be happy with your choices, no need to change. Also I notice when you go over 16x ish power quality of glass becomes more Important.

Anything past 20x makes it difficult to get on game for a shot. I find I must use a lower power to find the game and then turn up the power if more is needed. If I move or the game moves, the procedure repeats itself. Therefore, I recommend nothing more than 18 or better yet 14 for hunting situations.

The nice thing with a FFP scope is that you can crank it down and still have your reticle sub tensions stay the same for hold-offs. I wonder if the glass is the same in two scopes one 4-20 and one 5-25, which would be clearer set at 20 power the 4-20 or 5-25? Does it make a difference? It always seems that as you turn down a scope it usually gets sharper (at least mid and lower priced scopes) so is there an advantage to going higher on the top end knowing you are going to turn it back some?

Get the most power you think you'll need and get good quality.
There is no advantage of buying a 4-20x over a 5-25x
Buy once - cry once, buy twice - cry twice.

I live out west and hunt long.I see no advantage past 20 x. I shoot a large caiber hard hitter.I usually need that type power to self spot.I also find that I have to turn down power for clearer image weather fog or even bright sun with snow it terrible for mirage.I hunted for years with a 14x top and shot many elk out to 800 +,now I do favor 20x for the 1000 type range if conditions permit.I have top tier equip,for spotting,glassing and shooting.Same for spotting I mainly use my 30 wide eye pcs on my Kowa 74

I prefer a 4.5 X 14 or something close but I have a few that go over 20X. Hunting season is only about 3 months long, so most of my shooting is at paper and steel out to 600 yards plus. I like the higher power settings for aiming at that 1 inch dot way out there. gun)

I went to from a 3-9x40 Bushnell 4200 Rainguard Elite to a 5-20x50 Huskemaw Blue Diamond and all I know is that I am never going back to a 9 power, not ever! gun)

I just hunt. My Elk rifle is a 300 H&H 3.5x10, and my Deer & Antelope rifle is a .264 Win Mag 4.5x14 as is my .223 Rem in a 4.5x14 for Coyotes & Praire Dogs.
Might not be perfect but I'm happy man !
I am thinking about changing my 700 BDL 6mm Rem it has a 3x9 Weaver Steel tube from the 1970's and its big but the problem is with both 85gr BTHP Sierra and Hornady's 100gr BTSP it groups 2.2 inches averages or less at 300 yds. So do I go newer with a Leupold 2.5x8 CDS or not is the question for me ?
These are what I have found to work.

Thanks for the input. I ended up ordering the 4-20. Hopefully it will work out well for what I want.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.