What powder for 6.5 PRC with 20'' barrel?

HeathGT

Just purchased a 6.5 PRC with a 20'' proof 1-7 barrel. It was previously owned and had been shot using h4350, everything I've read is recommending a slower powder. My question is should I stick with the faster powder to achieve the best velocities out of the short barrel? Hopefully someone has experience or a similar set up.

Thanks in advance!

I have a 6.5 PRC with a 20-inch barrel and I'm getting my best velocities with Retumbo and H1000. I'm getting right at 2900 with ELD X and 2850 with 140 Bergers (can run each a little faster but accuracy are best at those figures).

I have a 6.5 PRC with a 20-inch barrel and I'm getting my best velocities with Retumbo and H1000. I'm getting right at 2900 with ELD X and 2850 with 140 Bergers (can run each a little faster but accuracy are best at those figures).
whats your info on your loads?

Just purchased a 6.5 PRC with a 20'' proof 1-7 barrel. It was previously owned and had been shot using h4350, everything I've read is recommending a slower powder. My question is should I stick with the faster powder to achieve the best velocities out of the short barrel? Hopefully someone has experience or a similar set up.

Thanks in advance!
Any luck with hand loads on your short barrel?

Depending on case capacity and barrel length, the slower powders will prevail. Being a short mag type at 20" it shouldn't make much difference. The slower powders can give more down the barrel volume to push it faster and keep up gas volume. This doesn't make it more or less accurate, only faster.

RL23 if you can find it. Or H1000.

My buddies 24" 6.5 orc is using RL26 because I have it and H1000 wasn't as good in that rifle.