What powder and primer used by HSM in 7mm mag 168 gr Sierra BTHP match

SofaKing

Does anybody know what powdrr and primer HSM is using in the 7mm rem mag 168 gr BTHP match set up? They don't have any available now. So I'm looking to make some. I know the bullets are Sierra Match Kings and brass is Winchester.

Call them and ask. I've never used any of their ammo, so I have no clue. But, I do know that most ammo manufacturing companies don't use canister-grade powders like we get off the shelf. Most use proprietary blends.

Most likely, what you're looking to do is replicate the velocity node that your rifle liked from that ammo. Did you happen to chrono that ammo in your rifle? If so, you can use canister grade powders and Fed 215M or CCI 250 primers, do a load workup, and probably get close to those velocities and find that same accuracy node.

I did that exact same thing with the same ammo and rifle. They were 168 grain bergers not match kings. Factory ammo was about 2840 in my 24" tikka. There is another node around 2950. I used VV N560 and fed 215 and copied the coal and it worked great.

The stuff I'm recreating is the older version that used the Sierra Match Kings. That much I was able to get from my call to HSM. The part number is 7mmMAG-1-N

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.